bath

before you read!!

- bokuto's car is named sokudo and i hc that he would refer to it as a real person sometimes
- i'm pretty sure bo's sisters are unnamed, so for this au and the other aus where they're mentioned, the oldest is koutoune and the younger is kouemi!! if there are canon names please let me know c:

...

The anticipation was driving him crazy.

He barely got enough sleep from staying up, but the many energy drinks Kuroo got helped him power through the days and get through work just fine. He was exhausted and kind of irritable since the beginning of the week, but Akaashi liked to blame it on the stress.

He was sitting in the passenger's seat of Hinata's car now, a huge navy blue van that could hold at least five more people in the backseats, volleyballs and spare pairs of white court shoes rolling across the floor with every turn.

He had listened to Hinata explain to him that he liked practicing the sport when he could, after playing for so long in high school. That's where he met Bokuto and Sakusa, playing for Fukurodani until he graduated.

Akaashi knew Bokuto used to play a sport, but he never got in-depth about it.

He could only imagine the victorious halo around him after every win, how loud the slam of the ball was against the court, how happy Bokuto would get from a winning spike.

He was kind of longing to see him play back then, as if he'd been missing out on something important.

Regardless, Hinata was nice.

Like a sparkler that never extinguished, he would jump from many different conversations, his voice just as excited to share as all the rest.

Akaashi didn't mind. He liked hearing Hinata speak.

The sun sank past the horizon by the time they reached Sakusa's house, flooding the sky with a sudsy champagne that Akaashi doesn't think he'd ever get used to. A deep magenta marbled the clouds and melted with the navies of the nighttime, making Akaashi feel a sense of home in the way the transparent moon was so familiar.

His heart beats slowly as Hinata pulls into the empty driveway, parking extremely close to the neighbor's lawn.

"Come on, Akaashi! Let's go!"

Akaashi found it hard to resist Hinata's sunshine smile, and he's trying not to grin at him once he follows him up to the garage, the other boy knocking obnoxiously on it.

"Omi! It's me! And I brought Akaashi~!"

The garage rumbles as soon as he finishes his sentence, and Akaashi feels the percussion vibrate in his chest, the fire under his skin burning with every second that passes by.

His mind jumped from Bokuto, to Bokuto, and then back to Bokuto, the anticipation trying to bust through Akaashi's skin at the thought of seeing him after so long.

The person standing on the opposite side has his eyes trained on Hinata by the time he sees him, then over to Akaashi's nose and chin and everywhere else but his eyes, curious.

He was one of those people that didn't like eye contact, with good reason.

It was intimidating.

"Hey. He's okay." Sakusa says curtly, black hair falling into his face as he crosses his arms in front of his chest, standing beside a small black car parked in the middle of the garage. "He should be here any minute. I woke him up already."

Akaashi looks around, standard racks full of things that he knew Sakusa would probably never use. Camping equipment was stacked on the top shelves, while bins full of holiday decorations and a bike were strewn along the walls.