did you mean it?

"Akaashi~!"

Akaashi had come home to an empty apartment after work a couple of hours ago, expecting it, but never really getting used to the quiet.

Especially now that Bokuto was here, it was strange not to hear his voice bouncing off of the walls or his laugh hiding within the window curtains for him to reminisce on.

Bokuto had texted Akaashi telling him he was craving tea from the shop a few stations away and asked if he wanted anything from there, to which Akaashi told him no. But now, as he was standing in the middle of his bedroom with fairy lights in his hand and an empty stomach to boot, he wished he did.

There was no way he was going to inconvenience him now, he was probably on his way back already.

Thankfully, to end that same quiet Akaashi found himself trying to avoid, Kuroo leans on the doorframe and looks at Akaashi standing on a desk chair and setting up the lights in his bedroom, his hands in his pockets, thumbs tapping the leather of his belt.

The black button-up he was wearing is slightly wrinkled and the first three buttons are undone as he slumps against the doorframe as if he was here after a night at the club, standing there with that same, polished yet messy flare that Akaashi liked a lot.

"Hey. What are you doing, nerd?" Kuroo asks, and Akaashi presses his thumb against the tape holding a wire up. "Getting your room ready for date nights with Bokuto?"

"Shut up, moron," Akaashi says, reaching over to press the lights along the ceiling. "I'm setting these up for him, yes, but not for that."

"Why?" Kuroo raises an eyebrow, though Akaashi could barely see it with his hair covering his face.

"He's scared of storms." Akaashi rips off a piece of tape with his teeth and grimaces as a piece gets stuck to his lip, peeling it off. "I went to school the other day and found him under the desk trying to hide from it. I think these will help when I can't be with him."

Kuroo stares at him, his expression bored as if waiting for Akaashi to say something surprising.

"And you two have the audacity to pretend like you're not in love with each other. The literal nerve. The gaul. The gumption you've got."

Akaashi rolls his eyes and his cheeks heat up in response to Kuroo's dumb comment.

"Where'd you come from?" Akaashi asks, knowing Kuroo mentioned he was doing something with Kenma today, but never really saying what.

"Dinner with Kenma," Kuroo says, leaning on the doorframe of Akaashi's bedroom. "It was a celebration!"

"What for?" Akaashi asks, just to make conversation as he steps off of his chair and drags it to the middle of the wall.

"He graduated two days ago," Kuroo announces, and Akaashi's eyebrows jump as he looks at him for clarification, though he knew he shouldn't be surprised if they were talking about Kenma.

"Really?"

"Yeah, it's crazy, right? He's our age and is moving on already."

"Did he tell you his plans for the future?"

Kuroo shrugs and looks out the window into the navy black of the nighttime, the clouds prominent and grey as they sit in front of the moon, blocking her vision.

"He wants to be a CEO. Own his own company." Kuroo says, nodding to himself. "He's been interning at a firm for a few weeks now. They seem to really like him."

"He's doing very well?"

Kuroo nods again and crosses his arms over his chest as he stares at the floor. There's a rift in the room, and Akaashi squints as he looks at Kuroo, his eyebrows stewing in the middle of his forehead.