koutarou

Falling in love was a lot like jumping into ponds.

One that you've never seen before, with crystal water that would reflect even the softest of sunlight upon its currents. It would tenderly hold up fallen leaves and water lilies, enticing and beautiful all the same.

But when you jump, you never know how deep it truly is.

The water could pool at your ankles, and you will be disappointed. The water could grip at the skin of your neck, allowing you space and time, enough to be comfortable swimming.

Sometimes, the water smothered you, to where you felt like you were drowning.

And Akaashi always felt like he was going to drown in Bokuto sooner or later. He just didn't expect it so soon.

It took him about twenty-three hours since the party to realize this simple, yet earth-shattering fact, that his heart was now in the hands of Bokuto Koutarou and there wasn't any security in how he could protect it.

But, that was okay.

He didn't think he needed to worry so much about that last part, anyway. Bokuto had as much security that Akaashi could ask for.

Two days later, Akaashi is here at Konchu-en, watching Bokuto stare at the butterflies as they perch on flowers and twirl among the breezes that peeked in on them every so often.

Akaashi and Bokuto had come to the butterfly gardens a few times before, but it was different, now that they were dating. His world still felt like that technicolor dream, the sun shining a little brighter and he looked forward to every minute he could spend with Bokuto. The butterflies seemed more beautiful, though Akaashi never thought they could get any prettier than they were.

He really loved spending time with him in any circumstance, whether it was buzzing with adrenaline at races, or finding peace in the way the flowers leaned with the wind at the butterfly garden.

He liked Bokuto a lot, but that was a given.

He pulls himself back to earth once he realizes they've been in a tame silence, the trees trying their best to fill it as the wind rustles their leaves above them.

He looks up at Bokuto, finding him staring into the flowers again, but it wasn't in admiration for the butterflies, or him trying to stay still in hopes that one would land on his nose again, like last time.

His head was running, but he just kept quiet about it.

"You're thinking." Akaashi cuts his thoughts off, and Bokuto shakes his head, tapping his foot against the brick pathway they sat at while his cheeks flood with a light pink.

"It's nothing," Bokuto says, though Akaashi knows that not true. "I...You wanna go by the pond?"

Akaashi nods and stands up, holding his hand out for Bokuto to take, getting him up right after. The sun is brittle, and it was still pretty warm out here despite autumn just landing, so going by the water was a good idea.

Akaashi especially liked the oak tree that would block out the sun and its heat.

"How is the newbie?" Bokuto asks, slipping his fingers through Akaashi's as they follow the brick path, making their way to the pond.

"He's nice." Akaashi shrugs, the boy's familiar face flashing through his head. "His arranging needs work, but he's motivated, so I think he'll be okay."

"I bet it's fun being a flower professor."

Akaashi rolls his eyes with a smile. "It's boring, at best. But it's paying off to see him get better, so it's not all bad."