party

A month passed, leading them into September, where the sun shone a little brighter and poured more gold into Akaashi during the afternoon.

Normally, Akaashi would have been home by now, sleeping away the rest of the day after work until he had to get up and do the same thing tomorrow.

Instead, he finds himself even more nervous than he usually was, keeping up with an excited Kuroo as they make their way to Bokuto and Atsumu's house. It's not that he wasn't looking forward to this party, but he hated them to begin with.

There was something about the loud noises and the amplified risk in such a mundane setting that scared the shit out of him, and rightfully so.

He's seen the murder mysteries.

But because it was Bokuto's birthday, he decided it was fine, just this once.

He hasn't been able to race yet, Sakusa wanting to keep him out of the ranks until he was completely healed. Akaashi was happy that he could at least be surrounded by his friends, though it probably couldn't compensate for the thrill of the race.

Kuroo was right in front of him, hair styled in a neater messy way, a silky crimson shirt hanging off of his shoulders from where it was undone to the third button. Akaashi didn't know if they would be overdressed, so he opted for more casual clothes to balance him out.

He thinks they both looked nice today.

Not that he tried a little harder to.

The summer breeze kisses his warm skin, the shake of the leaves at his feet whispering reassurances as they skip over the toes of his shoes, signaling the beginning of autumn over Japan.

His fingers are set on the little box in his pocket, wrapped as best as he could in shiny blue-grey paper from the convenience store.

Akaashi thinks quietly to himself as Kuroo meets Kenma on the sidewalk, his car parked across the driveway to their house. Kenma smiles at Kuroo, before letting the other kiss his forehead, his hair tied back into a ponytail this time.

Kenma was repeatedly breaking a lot of the stigmas Akaashi had placed on him, and after getting to know him, he decided that maybe he would not forget Kuroo for Valentine's Day.

"Hey." Kenma nods at him briefly, lacing his fingers through Kuroo's, the other hidden inside of his jacket pocket.

Akaashi nods politely and gives him a smile, and Kuroo jabs his free hand out to Akaashi.

"Let's hold hands, too!"

"No way," Akaashi says, trying not to smile at the pout Kuroo makes in return, before following them inside, not bothering to listen to their conversation.

Akaashi knew he'd be alone had he not found Bokuto. He needed to get to him, fast.

They are shrouded in colored LED lights, creating pretty circles over sweaty bodies as they dance to the music coming from one huge wall speaker. Cups filled with hazy memories were being spilled and refilled, laughter bouncing off of the walls and soaking into the stucco on the ceiling.

"Koutarou might be in the kitchen. Drinking." Kenma says to Akaashi, and as Kuroo gives him a look, grins one of the shit-eating ones that Akaashi didn't like to see, he pulls Kenma to the left, disappearing among the crowd to leave him by himself.

Damn Kuroo.

Akaashi swallows and looks towards the doorframe of the kitchen, seeing fewer bodies and more lights decorating the wooden flooring. He makes his way into the kitchen, hoping that Bokuto would be there and he wouldn't be alone all night.