the rain

It had rained earlier.

Akaashi had always been wary of the streets being too wet, knowing that racers chose specific times and days to avoid as much risk as possible. He didn't want Bokuto to race today, but he couldn't exactly tell him this.

Bokuto definitely knew he didn't, however, considering Akaashi was easy to read, easy to look at his scriptures and the written ink over his skin and know exactly what he was thinking.

But he couldn't really do much, considering a lot of people were planning on betting tonight, too.

Bokuto told him not to worry, drawing another little daisy on his hand with an even happier smiley face in the middle. Akaashi decided it was okay, as long as Bokuto was trying his best to be safe.

He still liked August, but he didn't like the omen of the rainfall at night.

Akaashi smiles at the vendor near the racing site when she hands him a bottle of water he bought for Bokuto. The chill stings against his palm as he makes his way back to Kuroo, now sitting on the edge of the road and trying to keep his eyes on Bokuto's car through the trees in front of him.

The road they were racing on was flat, and curved around a bunch of greenery until it looped back around within the town. It was farther than Namaso, but Kenma was kind enough to pick them both up and take them, since he was supposed to race tonight, too.

Akaashi tosses the bottle to his other hand, shoving it into his jacket pocket to dry and warm it with time. The night was not helping much, considering the moon swept a soft coldness over them once the sun went away for the day.

Akaashi didn't mind it so much, though.

"Don't sit down," Kuroo says, looking up at Akaashi, his voice being split by the faint sound of burnouts in the empty lot a ways away. "The grass is still wet."

"You're gonna look like you peed yourself," Akaashi says, breathing out a laugh through his nose at the image. "Why don't you get up, then?"

Kuroo deflates, looking at the empty road in front of them with a pout. "Because people are gonna think that I peed myself."

Akaashi sighs, glancing up to catch Bokuto's car weaving through oncoming traffic across from him, something he liked to do that Akaashi has noticed no one else dared.

Bokuto was like fireworks, blues and whites of crazy ideas bursting from his head as soon as he thought of them.

He often didn't think about said ideas, but he somehow managed to pull them off in a way that kept his audience wanting, waiting to see what he could do next.

Just like fireworks.

Akaashi's heart falls as he sees Bokuto pass in front of them first, followed shortly after by Tendou, a flash of white paint and blue lights before they are gone again, into another lap. Akaashi takes a small breath, knowing the air would be permeated with exhaust smoke.

He hated the smell of it.

Tires shout as Tendou drifts along the curve of the road, making Akaashi shudder at the shrill sound. He still wasn't a fan of the noises and smells of a race, but he didn't mind the sights.

Specifically, the look on Bokuto's face when he was finished and gushing about it, but that wasn't really important for him to think about.

"Is this the last lap?" Akaashi asks, and Kuroo shakes his head, eyes following the cars through the trees again.

"They still have two more." He says, running a hand through his hair to get it out of his face, only for it to fall right back into said face. "They're racing for a bet. Tendou said he races here often, so he would win, and Bokuto was like 'I know for a fact that's not true!' and now they're racing in five laps for bragging rights."