-Chapter Eighty-Seven-

Our Future

"From this day forward, you're our responsibility," Lioness told us. "We can protect you from the Blades. We can keep you safe, far from the threat of Kinji Ishotaru's killing games. We have towns, villages and cities, they will be safe havens for you. You only need to say the word, and we can take you anywhere in the world that you want to be, so long as we have dominion of the region."

"You will all have to be given new names," Sapphire continued, "new identities, new lives. Do not concern yourself with things like money, housing or jobs. I will take care of that for you, once you have all made your decisions. Naturally, returning to a normal life after everything you have suffered will be extraordinarily challenging, so I would like you to remain at this facility for the foreseeable future. Marble will keep me informed of your progress, and once he is satisfied that you're well enough to return to the outside world, we would like to know what your decisions will be. You will have plenty of time to mull things over, so do not fret too much now. The future is an uncertain thing, full of things that will surprise you, but I have hope."

"Hope?" Nishi repeated.

"Yes. You are all quite remarkable young people," Sapphire said brightly. "I'm so happy that my son was able to make such wonderful friends."

"Your Highness..." I whispered, but Sapphire held up his hand, and I closed my mouth. I looked at him and saw his icy eyes were wet with tears.

"Thank you for all that you and your classmates have done for Edward, for me, Lioness, Marble and everyone in my organisation," he said with a choked voice. "I have hope that you will all live fulfilled lives, and not let the evil transgressions of a vile cult pursue you for their remainder." Before any of us could respond, there was a familiar knock at the door, and Marble poked his head through.

"Ah, Marble! Perfect timing," Lioness called. "We were just finishing up here, would you mind escorting the survivors back to the infirmary?" Marble nodded and strolled over to Ori and I. Mina and Nishi stood from their chairs.

"Nishi, would you mind wheeling Ori?" Marble asked. Nishi happily agreed and took hold of Ori's chair's handles, and Marble took hold of my own.

"It was so nice to meet you, Sapphire!" Mina giggled, bounding over to the king and hugging him tightly around the waist. Sapphire's eyes widened in shock, but he chuckled and gently patted her on the top of her head. Mina then looked at Lioness, but she shook her head. No hugs for me, her eyes said. Mina then helped Nishi push Ori away from the office, all of them waving goodbye to Lioness and Sapphire. Marble then began following, but behind me I heard Lioness' voice call behind us.

"Ah, one moment please, Marble. I'd like to speak to Miyagawa in private." I felt myself frown in confusion, but Marble silently wheeled me around to face Lioness and her chilling gaze. Ori, Nishi and Mina watched from the entrance, and Ori's concerned expression was the last thing I saw before Marble closed the office door behind him. I faintly heard him assuring the others that I would be out soon, and then I turned to the two leaders standing before me.

"What do you need from me?" I asked immediately. Lioness closed the file on her desk and put it back on the bookshelf behind her.

"I have a question for you," she said simply. "I have asked that your father come here, to this facility. Do you want to see him?"

"What?" I shouted. "D-Dad is here? Does he know-?"

"He does not know the reason for his summons," Lioness assured me with a coy smile. "One advantage of being me is that there are very few who are brave enough to defy my orders. I have merely told your father that there is something I wish to discuss with him. Right now, I have him held elsewhere in the facility, but he doesn't know you're here. I wanted to know if you had any desire to reunite with him."