-Chapter Thirty-Nine-

A Girl in a Forest, A Boy in a Room

Most people are scared of insects - this was something I had been aware of ever since I had developed my interest in coleoptera. I had always found the company of the critters to be more comforting than the company of people who were distressed simply by thinking about being in a room filled with insects. I had become accustomed to solitude, and Seiko Academy was no different. As soon as we had unlocked the insectarium, I had found paradise. I was the only person who saw the room that way. None of the other students visited me, nor the hundreds of beautiful beetles that were there.

And then Morino arrived.

"Good morning," was all he had said when he announced himself at the insectarium's entrance, as though it was perfectly ordinary for him to be there.

"What are you doing here?" I cried in surprise.

"Your beetles," he replied, his dark eyes looking at me emotionlessly. "I want to learn more about them."

"O-okay," I agreed nervously. I passed him a pair of gloves to wear to protect him - I explained that human skin is sensitive to insect legs, so putting on gloves would lessen the chance that his body recoils from the sensation. I also asked him to tie up his hair so I could put a hairnet over him. He agreed without hesitation and bunched his hair into a perfect bun at the top of his head. It was the first time I had seen him with a different haircut. If he wasn't so moody and uncommunicative, he'd actually be reasonably attractive, I observed, though I had no intention of pursuing Morino romantically. I was devoted to my talent, and that was all I needed to get by. Once his hairnet was fixed over his head, I led Morino to the first box of bugs.

"These beetles. What are they called?" Morino asked, though his tone suggested it was more of a demand.

"Um, these are Chrysolina Graminis," I said, indicating him towards a box of tiny, glistening, emerald critters, who were scurrying around a habitat of damp moss, soil and twigs. "Thanks to their green hue, they're able to blend in with the plants that they eat, such as mint and tansy. In fact, they're commonly referred to as Tansy beetles because they were observed gorging on that plant."

"I see," Morino hummed thoughtfully. "You are very knowledgeable - it's very impressive." I looked at him.

"Did you just... compliment me, Morino?" I asked, shocked. He returned my glance with one of equal surprise.

"Ori... has been teaching me to be more empathetic," he murmured, "so, I have been trying to be kinder. Did I... offend you with my compliment?"

"No!" I cried hurriedly. "I just wasn't expecting it from you, truthfully. Most people are scared when they learn of my interest in insects. I think you're one of the first people outside of the National Entomology Association who hasn't recoiled in disgust."

"I enjoy learning," Morino said simply. He pointed to another box. "What are these ones?" With that, I began leading the boy with an unknown talent around the insectarium, introducing him to each species as we came across it. He wanted to know as much as I could tell him about each species, and I soon lost myself in my passion and began throwing fact after fact at him, which he took in with almost no reaction. I couldn't tell if he was really interested, but I was thoroughly enjoying having someone listen to me lecture about my talent.

"These little guys belong to a genus called Dermestes," I held out a container filled with a colony of tiny, black, bead-like scritters. "They're a particular favourite of mine because humans found a way of benefitting from their behaviour."

"Dermestes," Morino thought aloud, "I imagine that they have something to do with skin, as their genus has the derm prefix."

"Very good," I replied, impressed. "They were once considered a pest of museums, as they would eat taxidermied exhibits and chew through fibres and cloth, but someone had the bright idea of utilizing this in exhibit preservation. Now, it is common practise to use dermestid beetles to clean bones, as they eat away at any leftover, decaying tissue and flesh. Dermestid beetles have even been known to be used in homicide investigations! Oh, I probably sounded a little too excited talking about homicide at a time like this - I'm sorry!" I blushed furiously. How embarrassing! Now you really sound like a freak, Morihei! Morino shook his head and smiled.