30

Warmth wrapped around me, a warm blanket draped over me with all the security that brought. A strong heartbeat thumped in a steady rhythm against me, not mine, no, mine didn't reverberate into my bones with the same force, didn't have the same calming effect. And so I grumbled, unhappy to have been pulled back into consciousness. I snuggled closer to the source, wanting to slip back under the still surface of sleep. 

"Sh," hushed Dad. Gentle fingers brushed through my hair; they came back and pressed against my scalp with just enough pressure. The arm over me tensed, tightened, and drew me up. Hot breath breezed over my head, and his beard scratched against my skin. Several soft kisses were placed against my forehead. "Rest, little one." 

I did. 

When my eyes finally cracked open, I didn't move. Fabric was still balled in my fist. No nightmares, I noted. Dad shifted and sat up, pulling me with him and leaving me sitting across his lap. One hand rubbed my back before attempting to pry me away. I clung to Dad, snuggling closer to him. Each breath I took caught in my throat, my sleep adled brain not wanting to be pulled away from the comfort he offered. 

"You need to get up, seahorse, go get some food," he said. I whined and shifted until he kissed my head with a chuckle. "Little foal." Dad sighed. "Your brother wants ice cream, and I know you can stand to eat. Not to mention--" Here his voice took on a darker, somber tone. "--you being this cuddly warrants a conversation."

 I didn't want it to. "No, it doesn't." 

"You know it does."

"Your hugs are nice, and you're warm."

"I'm not going to be mad if you tell me the real reason if that's what you're worried about. I'll swear it on the Styx if you want me to," said Dad. I glared at his shirt, not moving. It wouldn't matter. A god swearing on the Styx meant nothing. The punishment would just be taken out on the kids. Which in this case probably meant me. It didn't matter if I knew he'd get tired of me. He didn't need-

Dad sighed. "Do you really think I would do all of this only to throw you away when I get bored?" He tapped his fingers on my back, leaving me frozen. "Apparently you're just as dense as some of my council. You are my foal. I get that I haven't been...the best parent, but I'm trying.  Which means you're stuck with me. You deserve this, Percy, my sweet little seahorse, so please trust me when I say I want to care for you." 

Nervousness thrummed through me, and I chewed at the inside of my cheek. I nodded. A reluctant nod, but Dad seemed satisfied by it. I stood up. Black encroached on my vision. I clenched my stomach and waited for it to pass. 

"There's a park that has good ice cream and food," said Dad as he stood. "Does that sound good?"

"Yeah. Sounds fine to me." 

"If it doesn't-"

"I don't really care what we get, Dad." 

Energy was building and I just wanted to get food, and then maybe fight something. I needed activity, any kind of outlet. Dad hummed, but it was different. He sounded upset. Sea green eyes bored into me; I shifted under his stare. A solid hand landed on my shoulder and then we were gone. 

People bustled around, joggers and walkers, mothers pushing strollers. Plastic wheels rolled over cement as a little girl pushed her toy stroller and baby doll. The noise made me grimace, and Dad squeezed my shoulder. With a fluid movement, he placed his hat on my head.

"Thank you," I mumbled, no longer having to squint against the sun. I let my gaze sweep out again, eyes locking onto a familiar couple people. "Uh, Dad?"

"Hm?"

"Can I uh- Can I--?" I looked up at him, gesturing over towards Peter. He lanced over before looking down at me.

With a small smile, Dad pushed me forward. "Meet me back here in two hours, or head home and pray to tell me you got back okay." One hand reached into a pocket. He dropped some coins into my hand. I stared at them. They were smaller, only a bit bigger than a quarter. Dad leaned in. "Iris always overcharges."  He pressed a kiss to my forehead, mumbling a soft blessing under his breath. I made a soft noise, before reddening in embarrassment. Dad only chuckled before pushing me towards the path. "I'll be-"

"If you say you're going to give me siblings, I might just disown you." No other kid should have to deal with this. Despite me asking, I didn't want to leave. I wanted to stay next to him, if only because it kept my heart from beating out of my chest. Childish, yes, but nothing bad would happen to me near him. At least, I could only hope.  Still, I walked towards Peter, having just missed MJ as she walked away. 

"Hey, Peter." I grinned. He whipped around. His eyes were wide. 

"Percy? Mr Blofis said-"

"My dad's around here somewhere."

"You seem happy about that."

"Mhm." I rocked on my heels, smiling. "It's nice to spend time with him. I mean, at least I can excuse how overbearing he can be. His...uh, his brother kinda hates my guts. And some of my cousins, but they're pretty much all too scared of Dad to try anything."

Peter's smile became forced. "Sounds nice." 

"It's not," I said, an edge in my voice. "I've had to fight this hard just to get him to spend time with me. And the first time I met him, he told me I was a mistake. But for some reason, I still love him. Even if he'll end up getting bored of me." 

"i don't think he will."

"You don't know him like I do. He might keep saying it, but--" I waved my hands. "--I was born out of an affair. He's the only one who sees me as a part of his family, not even his employees do. If they did, I don't think they's risk what they do. It- It won't be long until he gets bored of me, Peter, or before he thinks I'm annoying or too much work. I'm just...I'm just taking advantage of this while it lasts."

I am on a roll and totally not putting off homework

Now i will let you decide

1

2

No context, but will determine what happens in the next chapter

Comments are welcome, I feast on them and also I need the serotonin

See yah