35

There are a lot of things to do before school starts up again: save kittens, practice my backflips off rooftops, and getting Percy away from her apartment as much as possible. Sure, Mr. Stark told me not to get involved. Sure, this could backfire horribly.

Wouldn't be the first time for both of those things.

But keeping Percy away from the one place her father knows she would be at...that's worth more than any amount of lecturing. The easiest way to keep her safe from him is to limit the possibility of her encountering him. Right?

Which is the exact train of thought that led to convincing Sally to let Percy out of the apartment. Based on her glare, Percy probably wasn't the happiest with me. Her hair being a mess, and her mismatched clothes really didn't help the impression.

I couldn't blame her. I'd be upset if someone dragged me out of an air-conditioned apartment into ninety-degree heat and seventy-percent humidity. Though she seemed largely unaffected as she watched M.J. sketch out the lines of the aquarium. Percy's body swayed to an inaudible rhythm, her eyes stared vacantly, and she seemed to bask under the beating sun.

"Can we go in now?" Ned asked. "I'm sweating through my socks."

"Gross," M.J. said. "Have you considered not sweating?"

"Do you want Ned to die from heat stroke?" I grinned, and it only widened when she said something about the aquarium being a prison and maybe finding a nice exhibit to sit at and give 'trivia' at. And then it fell when Percy spoke.

"Most fish like the aquariums." Her words were muttered and quiet, almost like she didn't know she was saying them. She might not have been. I frowned. Was she like this when we left? Her hands fluttered in her lap. "Free food. Safety."

"Never knowing the freedom of the ocean," M.J. deadpanned.

Percy startled, and her face flushed. Without a word, she shoved herself off the bench and walked towards the entrance. I sighed and started after her. Sally said not to let her out of sight. Very, very explicitly said to not do that one thing while her eyes darted around the hallway.

Under different circumstances, I might've thought she was being paranoid, but when Percy's father managed to get in the apartment without Sally knowing? Well, it's not paranoia if they're really out to get you.

"So are we all paying for ourselves or...?" Ned asked. I looked back at him, already having an idea of where this was going. "Because I might've forgotten my wallet." At least he had the thought to look sheepish about the entire thing.

"Dude."

"You lose your wallet like every other week."

"I'll cover it, losers." M.J. fished out her clutch from her bag. She muttered something under her breath, but I didn't pay attention to it, instead turning to Percy to ask what she wanted to go see first.

Shit.

She was gone.

"Hey, guys, I'm going to go to the bathroom. Meet me by the Conservation Hall?" As soon as we got our wristbands, I ducked towards the bathrooms, casting a glance at the map in hopes of spotting Percy. 

Hastily, I pulled up a map on my phone. Where would she go? Percy liked the ocean, and I couldn't remember if she mentioned having a favorite animal that she might go off to see. Sally said to keep her away from the shark tank, but was that just a joke?

Change of plans. I texted Ned and M.J. Percy's gone. Get a snack or smth Imma try to find her

M.J. sent her message right before I put my phone away. Use proper words, nerd. Anything you want from the gift shop?

I sighed, said no, and decided the best place to check would be the sharks. Surely there had to be some reason Sally said to keep Percy away from them. I slipped out the exit of the Conservation Hall and headed down the path, weaving through the crowd. I didn't know where else she could be.

She could've very well just...left. The exit was, like, right there. It wouldn't have been hard for her to shirk us. I resisted the urge to groan. Barely. Of course, leave it to the person whose dad might very well be a villain to pull a disappearing act.

Texting her wouldn't even work. My message history with her was nothing more than my messages being left on read. Which I'd call rude, except I tended to find notes slid under the apartment door.

It was like she was allergic to texting back. 

Maybe I should text her and tell her to go to an exhibit? But that thought was thrown out when I turned the corner and saw Percy with her nose nearly pressed against the glass of the lined seahorse exhibit.

Oh thank fucking God.

"Per-"

"They are quite cute."

I jolted, suddenly frozen in place. A woman in an aquarium t-shirt and jeans stood next to Percy. She stood next to Percy in a spot where no one had been. I couldn't have missed seeing her; dark-haired and doe-eyed, she was absolutely stunning in the way that turns heads.

But Percy turned her head like she knew the woman was there--like she'd always been there--and muttered a soft greeting. Something uneasy crept into her shoulders, validating the tingling in the back of my mind.

It was hard to keep from throwing myself forward when the woman reached towards Percy. The tingling turned to alarms. She brushed a piece of Percy's hair behind her ear. 

There was something wrong with this.The warm case of my phone pressed into my palm. Mr. Stark was working on a new model of suit. Pepper had a business meeting scheduled for sometime around lunch. I didn't want to bother them. I didn't even know if I should.

Percy, swaying, muttered, "... an aquarium...got out but--" She helplessly gestured.

"I'll look into it." The woman tucked her hands into her pockets. "My father has no love for his brother's antics. Though don't be surprised if there are unintended consequences to this." She looked at me. "You're one of her friends, aren't you?" Percy didn't react to that.

My throat tightened. The air suddenly felt too cold.  "Uh, yeah. We're neighbors."

"Hm. I'm her step-mother." No name. Not ominous whatsoever. Percy's stepmom turned back to her. "Ah, yes, Perseus, your father was wondering if you'd like to come for dinner. It's a picnic, I believe."

"Actually," I said quickly, "our families are eating at her place tonight, and Sally will be upset if Percy skips that. Won't she, Percy?"

"Uh. Yeah. Mom's already mad at me for sneaking out while I'm grounded. She'll kill me," Percy said. "Metaphorically."

"I doubt your mother would mind if we joined you, would she?" Her step-mom stepped away. I swallowed; I just made this worse, didn't I? Because that was really a statement, not a question. Percy wasn't getting a choice.

"You don't have to!" Percy blurted. "Really, you don't.

"Your father will enjoy the chance to see you again, especially since you cut your last visit short. I'm sure you wouldn't want to disappoint him." She smiled; it didn't reach her eyes. "Can't see the appeal in spending time with you myself. Your brother is already enough of a handful."

"He has better stuff to be doing."

"Nonsense. We'll see you tonight."

"Oh fuck." Percy breathed out, once her step-mom left. "Fuck."

Pst hey

*opens trenchcoat* you should check out Under the Water. I finished that fairly recently, so no waiting a month or longer for updates

Also, people who read why is everything so loud, well, perhaps have some dread. Or not. This percy is slightly healthier than WIESL Percy

See yah