3. Watched

Lorna Ramirez stepped out of the portal in her full combat gear, followed by Torres in his Falcon gear.  Once they were in our living room they both relaxed and shed their equipment.

"Sarge, Mrs.B.," said Ramirez. "Any sign of the watcher?"

"Nope, I've just had my ... what does Peter Parker call it?" said James.

"Spider senses tingling?" said Torres.

"Ever since Gail returned from the hospital," he said, then he realized he had said more than he meant to. 

Both Ramirez and Torres asked what happened.  James explained I had been expecting twins but one had been an ectopic pregnancy.  He asked them to keep it on the down low as we focussed on the remaining child.   As we waited for Sam to arrive Ramirez and Torres split the overnight duty between them.  James requested Friday activate all external security cameras and identify anyone who approached our building more than once.  That would include our neighbours but James had already loaded their images in as exceptions.  At this point we heard Steve calling us and James led Ramirez and Torres into Steve's room.  I heard them laughing and Ramirez came out holding him.

"I hope you've taken pictures of him stuck on the crib railing," she said. "That's the sort of picture you show at his 21st birthday party or his wedding."

James smiled.  He received a text and sent a reply.

"Sam's here," he said. 

He stood up and picked up his garment bag and go bag.  Then he kissed Steve, then me and told me he would see me the following evening.  To Torres and Ramirez he just said to take care of his family.  He left and from the window I watched him leave with Sam. 

After cooking supper with help from a kitchen savvy Torres we picked out a movie and watched it.  Torres took the dogs out for a run after the movie and then we locked down the condo.  Torres drew the first watch.   The rest of us went to sleep.  About 2:30 in the morning I heard the dogs barking and Torres yelling.  I came out to the living room to see a long haired man spread eagled on the floor.  After checking him for weapons Torres told to him to sit up while Ramirez covered him with her weapon.

The man sat up and I was shocked to see it was James, except it obviously wasn't since he left for Tom Patterson's memorial service the day before.

"I can explain," he said, "but you won't believe me.  You military types usually don't.  I was hoping only you were here.  You would believe me, wouldn't you Gail?"

"What do you want us to do, Mrs. B.?" asked Ramirez.

"Mrs. B.?" he said. "You actually marry me in this timeline?  I'm impressed."

"Who are you?" I asked. "What do you want with me?"

"I'm Jim Barnes," he said.  "I'm the leader of a rebel group in my timeline.  I need help to get back.  I didn't think my counterpart would be willing to help me so I've been waiting to talk to you alone.  It would appear I've misjudged the technology of this timeline.  I didn't think you had personal transport devices that brought these two soldiers here.  Can you please stop pointing that firearm at me?  I'm not a threat to Gail or her baby, boy is it?  Who's the dad?"

I told Ramirez and Torres to stand down and motioned them over.  The dogs were okay with him and he scratched their ears as he waited.

"He looks like James, he sounds like him," I said to the two people. "This is isn't well known but I know James pheromones and this guy is very close, he has almost the same smell. Who do we need to talk to about timelines?"

"Bruce, maybe Wanda, Dr. Strange might be best," said Torres.

"Sorry, not trying to be a bother but do you think I could have something to eat?" asked Jim. "It's been a few days."