7. Burning Love (Sexual content)

Steve was so good on the flight to Wakanda.  The cultural ambassadors were quite enthralled with him and indulged him whenever he was awake.  He slept well although we didn't as Steve was restless.  James ended up sleeping on a spare seat.  On the flight through the capital before we landed Steve looked out the window at the amazing buildings saying "wow" over and over again.  Unlike our first visit we didn't have to be presented formally to the royal family again.  We had already gone through that protocol once and that was good for life. 

Everett Ross greeted us with a handshake and even shook Steve's hand.  He sat with us in the limousine and apologized for T'Challa not being able to greet us as a situation was developing that was causing concern.

"I know you're here for your son's assessment but the king has decided to request the Avengers assistance in the matter," said Ross.  "I hope you brought your gear."

"Always," said James. "Except the knives.  I keep a set here already.  Vibranium.  Too valuable to use outside of the country."

We pulled up at the palace and were ushered into the royal residence while our bags went to our quarters.  As we were given our bracelets Steve was fitted with an anklet that he wouldn't be able to remove.  Queen Ramonda greeted us with cheek kisses and offered her arms to hold Steve.  He looked oddly at her headpiece but didn't make strange.

"A fine looking son!" she exclaimed. "I can feel his strength as I hold him.  He must be challenging."

"There have been moments, yes," I said. 

"Today you will relax," she said. "Tomorrow we will start the assessment and see if my predictions hold water."

"I'm sorry, your Majesty," said James. "Everett Ross said there was something brewing that needed attention."

"Yes, of course you will be involved," she replied.  "My son is in the operations centre.  You remember the way?"

"I do, excuse me," he said, and left.

"It is a bad business that has flared up," she shook her head. "Poachers again but they are taking people as well as animals.  Some of our best people have disappeared and no trace has been left."

Something must have flickered across my face because she looked closely at me.

"Gail, tell me what is wrong," she commanded, as she motioned me to sit.

"A nightmare of flames and burning," I confessed. "James, charred but alive, screaming and begging me to leave."

I gulped for air as the fear reached up into my throat again.  She put her hand on mine, then reached around my shoulders and drew me to her.

"My child," she whispered, "when did this happen?"

"About ten days ago," I told her, "after Steve's birthday party.  There was an emotional moment with our friend Maria, she's kind of our surrogate mother and grandmother.  We reached an understanding with her and then James gave me this birthstone ring to commemorate Steve's birthday.  We usually make love every evening but we didn't that night.  James said our love was a precious glorious thing and he just held me instead.  I had the nightmare and woke up to Steve getting into bed with us."

"Have you told him?" she asked, her face full of concern.

"No, but the fear has been building within me ever since," I replied.  "You're the only one I've told."

"Ten days ago was when the first attack was made," she said. "They burnt a small village to the ground but the only dead were the sentries.  The rest of the people, over 40 of them, were gone.  Whoever did it knew how to move without leaving a trace.  A few days later another small village, then yesterday another – they took rhinos this time as well.  After the second attack the king mobilized the army to evacuate the smaller villages into more secure locations but it takes time and has tied up our military.  We need the Avengers to help us find who is doing this and stop them."