24. Surveillance (Violence causing death)

Still feeling uncomfortable about going on the boat I convinced James to let me stay on the island with the girls and Aunt May, who always got sea sick.  Wanda turned herself into Aunt May to say good bye to Happy and Peter.  She did a quick read on the captain and his two crew members then sent a thought message to James and the other Avengers to be alert.  After the boat left she came to see me on the beach.

"The captain is definitely hiding something," she said.  "He has had training to resist mind probes or lots of practice.  His men blocked me as well but their blocks seem to be imposed on them."

It wasn't until I saw the boat return six hours later that I could relax.  Everyone coming off were animated and laughing about the excursion.  Dolphins had approached them at the reef and played with them.  The boys were thrilled to have seen sea turtles, and all sorts of fish swimming around their legs.  As the captain unloaded the boat he shook hands with everyone, including the boys.  I watched him closely but he gave no sign of being anything other than a tour boat captain.

I noticed Ryan offering his hand to Laura Barton as she disembarked then to Lila, holding her hand just a little longer and smiling a little sweeter at her.  Everyone went to shower the salt off before supper so I took the girls back to the villa as I wanted to talk to James as he showered.

"Wanda told me about the captain hiding something," I said.

"He's very good at hiding himself," said James.   "He was very professional, knew his fish and all about the gear.  Made sure everyone had a life jacket.  If he's Chavez he's very smooth at hiding his identity."

That night during dinner little Sam kept covering his ears.  Finally I asked him what was wrong.

"I hear a sound that's bugging me," he said. "Up there.  I think it's a drone."

He pointed to the sky and I focused on where he pointed

He pointed to the sky and I focused on where he pointed.  Blocking everything out I could hear a quiet electronic whisper.  A small drone.  Getting James' attention I made it look like I was going to whisper in his ear.  Expecting sexy talk he put his arm around me.

"React like I just propositioned you but there is a drone up there," I said. "Sam can hear it."

He turned his brilliant smile on me and kissed me then whispered in my ear.  "I noticed he was covering his ears so I focussed and could see it.  I think it's counting how many people are here."

I reacted like he had said something funny.  We kissed again.  James went to ask Sergeant Martin something and he nodded.  He came back about 5 minutes later with several long objects.  Sticking them into the sand and angling them towards the ocean he announced fireworks and told the kids to stay clear.  He lit the first one, a Roman candle and it sent out five star shaped patterns.  Little Sam covered his ears but still laughed.  The next one he lit was a rocket and it went up high in the air and made a huge display with a Big Bang.  Then there was a long tube and it sent up a large fountain of sparks.  At that moment Sam Wilson went down on one knee and proposed to Maria, holding out a ring in a box to her.  James was filming it while Clint snapped pictures.  She nodded, said yes and Sam put the ring on her finger.  I will always have that image of them hugging and kissing in front of that fountain of sparks.  The next two were Roman Candles and Sergeant Martin lit them one after the other so they went off in succession.  It was pretty spectacular and a good way to end the evening.