20. A Year Flies By (Sexual content)

We returned home a few days after James was released from the medical centre and our life returned almost to normal.  James spent one week out of every month at Avengers HQ, plus missions.  He never brought up planning the Chavez mission in my presence but I knew when he began inviting different Avengers to spend a weekend at the house that he was assessing their qualities.  Even Torres received an invitation.  He brought his girlfriend, an elementary school teacher who connected with our three children.  Clint Barton brought his whole family and his daughter Lila took a real shine to Rebecca, calling her little sister while her brothers had a ball in the training building with our boys.  Peter Parker and his Aunt May came with Happy Hogan, Tony Stark's security head.  He and May were dating but kept it appropriate around Peter.  Sam and Maria were at our place often and were now openly affectionate.   It was a quiet relationship but intense and we both were happy for our friends to have found each other.

My pregnancy progressed and just like Rebecca I had trouble with morning sickness but at least it was confined to the morning and I could eat and drink normally for the rest of the day.  Ultrasound confirmed it was another girl.  We had just one small problem.  We were going to name her Alison Katherine, after my friend and my mother.  But the friendship seemed to peter out over the years and then ended completely when she tried to reconnect with Sam after he started seeing Maria.  Sam ended it finally and completely after telling her he was tired of being strung along for over 4 years.  I felt somewhat bad for her but she had never committed to him like he had to her.  We never heard from her again.  I still liked Ali for a nickname but James said it reminded him too much of Alison.  He came up with Alina, said it meant strong willed and independent.  I liked it and if she ever wanted it shortened to Ali that was up to her.

There was sad news.  Sheriff Christopher Brandon was found dead in his squad car.  Cause of death was a heart attack.  It was a blow to both James and myself.  He had helped save our marriage after James was released from the secret prison.  His kindness and advice were heartfelt.  We attended the funeral and dropped a flower into the grave; hydrangeas for the plant he gave us a housewarming gift.  Two days later they announced the new sheriff, an outsider, Jason Walker, a cousin to John Walker, the disgraced former Captain America.  To James, he was cut from the same cloth, a self-promoting braggart.

In October as we celebrated Rebecca's first birthday, James gave me a beautiful blue opal ring for her birthstone present.  Rebecca loved her chocolate cake and like her brothers turned into a little monster protecting her hoard when we tried to take it from her.   Sam, Maria, Sarah and the kids, Gus and Ma were all present.  It was the best weekend.

Thanksgiving was spent in Brooklyn with Gus and Ma.   They both seemed to thrive on a house of grandchildren.  Christmas was spent at Avengers HQ.  James spent time in meetings with Fury, Sam, Maria, Torres, Clint and Peter Parker.  Brad Dixon, head of security, Sean Yashito, head of investigation, and Zoe Bergman, IT specialist were also in attendance.  It was no coincidence.  Without saying anything he had shown me who his team was to go up against Chavez.

In January, 2029 we finished repainting the nursery for Alina and let Rebecca choose whether to stay in there or sleep on her own.  She chose to stay so James built her a little alcove for her books, stuffies, and toys.  It was like her own little hideout and she loved it.  Just weeks after completing the work Alina decided she was coming early.

Our other children had been born within a couple of days of their due date.  Alina's due date was February 23 so James spent the week of February 5 doing training assessments then his leave was to start February 12.  At midnight that night I was awakened by the urgent need to go to the bathroom.  I didn't even make it as my water broke on the way.

"James?" I called to him.  "My water just broke."

He was instantly awake.   "She's early," he said.  "Friday, call Sam, Dr. Hunt and Barb Bellecourt.  Tell them Gail's water just broke."