Chapter 1

"Hey hunny how was the grocery store?" My mom chimes from the kitchen as I enter the front door.

"Chaotic. Saved a guys life" I sigh as I put the bag of cranberries on the counter.

"WHAT?" She exclaims

"Some guy collapsed and broke his wrist. I did cpr until the paramedics came. That's what took so long." I begin rummaging for a strainer to clean the cranberries "where's the strainer?"

"I have it here. I'll start the sauce if you want to set the table and gather everyone." She offers.

I smile and nod in agreement.

"Hey mom, by the way, I have someone joining us tonight for supper. Should be here shortly" I sneak in before farting out of the room.

I'm trying my best to avoid all the questions that would have followed that information. The last guy I brought home was in high school. I've spent the past 5 years trying to focus on myself and my future. No matter how many times I try to explain that, it has never stopped my mom from questioning me or even my sexuality.. she's constantly telling me how supportive she would be if I decided to bring home a girl. Moms are so weird.

I've been seeing Mitchell for about 6 months now. He's from the same town, but went to a boarding school so we managed to never cross paths until university. Small world, right?
He's the first person I've let in since all of my health issues. Going through that kind of turned me into a closed off hermit with all of the walls built around me.

Mitchell has been like a breath of fresh air. He's different but somehow, comforting and familiar. He's the closest I've let anyone get in a long time. I love being around him- he really is a good guy and I'm excited for Tanner to meet him.. I could do without the rest of my overwhelming family though.

"Tanner dinners in a few. Come on down!" I holler up the stairs at him.

"I'm coming. I'm coming." I hear him saying as he round the corner and comes down the stairs. The doorbell rings just as he reaches the bottom of the stairs.

I turn to open the door but tanner beets me to it.

"Oh hello. And who are you?" He says raising an eyebrow at me.

"Tanner this is Mitchell. He's uh-" I didn't know how to introduce him since we never really labeled things.

"Boyfriend." Mitchell picks up on my uncertainty and finishes my though.

I can't help but smile up at him.