Chapter 5

I wake up alone in Mitchell's bed. I fell asleep pretty early after that relaxing bath last night.
I check the time on my phone. 6:42 am. My alarm is set to go off in three minutes so I turn it off. I wrap myself in the bed sheet and walk towards the bathroom. I hear Mitchell's voice carrying down the hall. He must be on the phone.

I finish washing my face, brushing my hair and teeth and then follow Mitchell's voice to the kitchen. He's made coffee and offers me a mug once he notices me. I gladly accept the hot mug of coffee and take my place at the table sipping it.

"Ya that all sounds great. I have to get going now, I'll see you then" he says before ending the call.

He's already showered and has just a towel hanging loosely around his hips. He finishes fixing his own coffee and then joins me at the table. He runs his hands through his damp hair and takes a sip before speaking.

"How was your sleep?" He asks

"So good. I slept like a rock" I admit

He lets out a chuckle and nods. "I figured that much. You spent half the night fighting me for my side of the bed"

I blush. "I'm sorry. Why didn't you wake me?!"

"Because You were sleeping so well, why would I ruin that?" He says taking anything full of coffee.

"Because it seems like I kept you up half the night. Next time wake me." I address

"No don't worry. I don't have to work today, I'm still on leave." He can tell I'm feeling bad about keeping him up.

"Jealous. I basically have to be dying to get a day off." I laugh

"Perks of the military" he winks at me

"You deserve it. I could never do what you do" I admit reaching across the table and smiling at him.

"Meh. It has its ups and downs- just like any other job." He points out.

I nod my head agreeing with him. I know I'm not winning this. He's so humble about what he does. He's been on two tours overseas and multiple training exercises, both in and out of country. He deserves his time off, that's for sure.

"Who were you talking to?" I ask

"Oh it was my brother. They're having a birthday get together for my mom next weekend."

"Oh that will be nice"

"Ya I didn't get to see them at dinner the other day so it'll be nice to see him again." He says with a smile. "Would you want to come with me?" He offers

"Where is it?" I ask

"At my grandparents house back home. No pressure, but I'd like to show you off to my family" he replies "mainly my brother" he adds with a laugh.

"Ya I'm sure I'll be able to" I smile "why mainly your brother?" I laugh at his remarks

"We've just always been competitive" he shrugs.

"you better get ready for work" he says motioning to the clock

"Oh shit" I say under my breath and go back to the bathroom to get myself ready.

I emerge from the bathroom with my hair up in a messy bun. Im wearing paper bag dress pants, a tank top, paired with mule shoes and gold hoop earrings. I grab my work bag and head towards the door.

"Here, I made you lunch" Mitch says.
He meets me in the porch, hands me a paper bag and plants a kiss on my cheek. "Have a good day"

"Thank you, see you later!" I respond as I dash out the door.