Chapter 26

TYLER

Brett and I enter the club again and head onto the dance floor. I start dancing, trying to forget about what I just pieced together. The song comes to a close and Brett leans into me

"Want to get another drink?" She asks

"Yea. This round is on me" I agree.

As we approach the bar I bump shoulder with someone
"Sorry about that" i apologize out of instinct. I immediately take it back once I see who I bumped into. "Hey how about you watch where you're going" my words are sharp.

"Pardon me?" That Eric guy questions

"Ty, it's not worth it, let's go" Brett grabs my arm and tries to pull me away

"You heard me." I take a step towards him and look down at him, making it apparently that I'm larger than he is. "Stay in your lane."

"How about you mind your fucking business" he shoves my chest.

I tense at his touch. My blood roaring in my ears thinking about what he had done to B. My vision goes black as my fist makes contact with his smug face.

"Tyler, please!" The sound of B's pleading voice brings me back to earth.

Her hands grab my arm which stop me mid swing. I look at her face, cheeks damp with tears as she yells for me to stop. I immediately rise to my feet, realization setting in that I just pummelled this guys face in. I walk towards the back door of the club as fast as possible. The night air hits my sweat dampened skin waking me up. I inhale the fresh air in an attempt to calm myself down.

"Tyler, wait." Her sweet but frantic voice following me out into the poorly lit alley.
"Tyler look at me." She pleads, grabbing my hand.

Her gentle touch sends warmth through my body, instantly calming me. I look into her blue eyes, they are glassy from crying and full of pain. Guilt washes over me as I realize that she was crying because of what I had done.

I instinctually pull her into my chest, wrapping my arms around her. Her arms follow suit, wrapping around my waist as she buries her face into me. Standing here holding her feels like home. How is she still my safe place after everything she put me through?

After what seems like forever she pulls away and so she can look at my face.
"What happened in there?"

I shrug trying to remember what triggered me.

"Why did you hit him?"

"Don't ask questions you don't want to know the answer to."

"What does that even mean?" Her forehead creases.

I remain quiet.

"why did you hit him?" She repeats.

"Because, B!" I voice is louder than I anticipated which makes her jump. I struggle to find my words. "Because I cant fathom the idea of someone treating you like an object. Someone disrespecting you like that guy did." I release a sigh before finishing my though "seeing your face outside brought me back to.." I let my thought trail off not wanting to remind her of her past trauma.

"Back to the beach party" she finishes. More tears stinging her eyes as she remembers

"The thought of that guy touching you like that.." my voice is quiet. "Someone else touching you in general." Part of me doesn't want to admit it to myself.

"I.." I can tell she's at a loss for words.

"I cant stand the thought of someone else's hands on you. In any way" I clarify.

"Tyler.." the sound of her saying my name brings back so many memories. I slam my eyes shut and try to chase them away.

She grabs my hand again. I open my eyes and see she's taken a step towards me, leaving only a small distance between us.

"What are you thinking?"

I'm thinking that I spent 7 years trying to convince myself I could live without you. The pain of burning my eyes with a hot iron would hurt less than watching you with my brother. That I would have killed that guy for hurting you had you not stepped in.

She brushes her free hand gently across my face to smooth my brows and rests it on my cheek, stroking it lightly. I grab her hand in mine and look deeply into her eyes.

"I cant do this" I whisper.

"Cant do what?"

"Cant pretend I'm fine." I breathe. "I cant pretend that I'm fine without you"

Her face twists. "I'm right here"

I spend a long period not knowing what to say so I stand in silence.

"Please say something" her eyes are full of sorrow.

I study every inch of her beautiful face. I move my hand to her face, brushing the tear stains away with my thumb. I find myself still at a loss for words.

"Tyler" she says my name again. Her velvety voice sending shivers down my spine and leaving butterflies in my stomach. Jesus Christ. I cant do this anymore.