Chapter 33

Algiers didn't bring much peace.

For a week, Eisa felt like returning to the Compound like a dog with its tail between its legs, ashamed and begging forgiveness.

And yet, despite the lack of solid peace, she felt better than she had in awhile.

She trained Marcel's vampires every day. She had them running drills, learning new techniques, brawling with each other in a supervised environment. She told them that the best student would be allowed to tag along with her when she went off to kill the next four people at the top of her hit list. That was highly motivating for them.

Elijah was constantly trying to talk to her, encouraging her to return to the Compound, because Kol and Finn felt out of place without her there. Instead of returning, she made arrangements and moved Kol and Finn into lofts beside her, which both seemed to enjoy. Finn, because he always preferred living on his own. Kol, because he could bring Davina to his place without anyone disturbing them (though, Eisa did make a point to listen in every now and then to make sure they weren't doing anything inappropriate).

It felt nice, being on her own, but still close to her family. Able to speak with them but remain distant when she needed it.

Klaus did not seem pleased with her insistence on remaining away from the Compound. But he tolerated it, because, as she and Elijah put it, they were training the vampires to be their allies, for when Dahlia inevitably arrived.

Freya had come by at the end of the week, once Finn and Eisa had figured out where they'd like for Mikael and her to meet. They met in Hahnville, with Freya excitedly riding shotgun, learning from Eisa as she drove.

"Are you sure you wish to do this?" asked Finn from the back seat. "This is not the man you remember, Freya. He's a monster."

"He is still my father," said Freya. "I just require a few minutes with him, my sweet Munin. Please."

Eisa shook her head. Freya didn't seem to understand why Eisa seemed far more opposed to this than Finn. "Sister, if you would tell me what's on your mind, I would appreciate it. I may be a powerful witch, but I am no mind-reader."

"Mikael is a beast," said Eisa lowly. "He abused Niklaus. Criticized Finn and I for choosing to be unwed. You haven't the faintest idea how cruel he is now."

"He changed after you were taken, Freya," Finn reminded her. "I spent years hoping that he would go back to being himself, but he never did. From what Eisa and Kol have told me, he has grown far worse over the centuries."

"You intend to dissuade me, and yet—"

"I would rather we not be here at all," snapped Eisa, gripping the steering wheel tightly. "I understand that you suffered with Dahlia. But you cannot possibly understand what it was like to be hunted, to be mistreated, to have him yelling hateful things at me, for a thousand years."

"Then help me understand, Sister."

"It's not something you could ever understand!" Eisa yelled, making Freya flinch. "Not even our other siblings understand it! Because none of them are gay. Mikael has tried to kill me numerous times, solely because of who I love. Aside from Niklaus, I am the child he despises the most. I am diseased to him, I am unworthy and tainted. Perhaps seeing you again might make him be kinder, but he will only be kinder to you. Niklaus and I will always be abominations to him. None of your efforts could ever make him respect us more. You'll be lucky to walk out of that meeting with your life."

Freya was silent the rest of the ride.

"Finn and I will go in first," said Eisa when they reached the abandoned warehouse they thought would be safest for the meeting. No innocents in the way, in case Mikael was displeased. "You will wait until we have assured him we're here peacefully. We'll give you time alone with him as soon as we ensure he won't murder us."