༻ Chapter〖20〗|T̶h̶e̶ E̶n̶d̶ ༺

Lyra didn't know why she expected the war to stop the moment they were all blasted out of the tower, but all she knew was that she was very wrong.

The war instantly resumed in the putrid sludge. The only problem was, all their faces and clothes were covered in mud and none of them could see each other in the weak dawn light so Never punched Never thinking the other was an Ever and vice versa.

This is stupid. Lyra thought. She was pretty sure Hester had already kicked her twice. Not to mention, she might have accidentally pulled Anadil's hair.

Trying to move away from as many students as possible, she finally found the space to wipe off the mud on herself without someone attacking her every few seconds.

Looking around, Lyra could see the mayhem Sophie had caused: Beatrix punched Reena at the jaw; Hester shoved Anadil's face in slime; Chaddick was trying to suffocating Tedros.

Suddenly, she noticed a figure approaching her. She immediately braced herself in a fighting stance but upon looking closer, she realized it was just Colten.

“Colten, it's me, Lyra,” She called.

“I know,” Colten responded, staggering towards her while wiping mud off his face. “It's crazy over there.”

“We need to stop this somehow,” Lyra exasperated.

We? Nah,” disagreed Colten. “Those two Readers started this war, now they're going to end it.”

“Now that you mentioned it, where are Sophie and Agatha anyways?” Lyra asked, looking around.

She got her answer when her eyes suddenly locked onto two figures. Both of them were climbing up the School Master's Tower at rapid speed.

“Oh crap, I found them,” Lyra whispered, quickly moving towards the said Tower.

“Me too,” Colten replied before turning towards her. “Hey— Wait! Where do you think you're going?”

“After them obviously,” She responded simply.

“Oh no you don't,” Colten said, trying to grabbed her.

She swiftly dodged his hands. “I have a bad feeling about this. The School Master's up to no good. I'm sure of it.”

“Yeah and how are you so sure exactly?”

Lyra turned towards him. “Listen, I know the School Master. I've talked to him before. He and I. . . let's just say we don't get along.”

“How are you saying this so easily? You do realize what an honor that is right?” Colten asked with a slight bafflement in his voice.

Lyra snorted. “Honor? Yeah right. He was just interested in me because I have the special ability to hear one's heart's intentions.”

Colten shook his head. “You really are a strange one. But—” He ran in front of her, blocking her way. “I can't let you go up.”

Lyra glowered at him. “I don't have time for this, Colten.”

“Hey,” Colten said seriously as he crossed his arms and leaned towards her. “Like I said before, those two Readers started all of this, now they're the ones who are going to end it.”

“Are we seriously going to let just the two of them do all the work?” Lyra retorted, crossing her arms as well. “Sure this is their fairy tale, but we're caught in their mess.” She tried to move past him once more only for Colten to block her again.

“Why am I feeling a sense of déjà vu?” She muttered to herself.

“Surving Fairy Tales. Remember? You were trying to find the answer to the School Master's riddle or something,” Colten reminded. His face turned smug. “Actually, now that I think about it, I remember telling you those two Readers were going to start war and look what's happened.”