𝑆𝐸𝑉𝐸𝑁

Past:

I'm being released today.

I should be happy right?

But I'm crying because I don't know where to go, I have no money, and everyone thinks I'm dead.

And I'm so fucking sick of crying and feeling bad about myself.

"Hey, how are you feeling?" Ally smiles and comes to sit on the chair next to my bed.

I give her a knowing look like I've been better.

"Where you gonna go now that your free from this place?"

"I don't know", I shrug and slip on a grey sweatshirt she gave me.

"You know you can always stay at my place for a bit."

She's been reminding me that every day since we've become friends.

I told her everything that happened actually.

But I made sure to keep the whole "oh yeah my boyfriends in the mafia, he kills people" out of the scenario.

"No I'll be good", I smile and hug her before I leave the hospital.

I'm now standing outside of my old house, contemplating everything in my head.

What if my dad's home?

What if he's not even happy to see me?

I peek through the side window that looks into the living room and I see my mother laying on the couch.

A wine glass in her hand and mascara running down her face.

She's looking at something.

I look closely and recognize the black and gold frame she's holding.

It's a picture of me with cake all over my face from my 4th birthday party.

I tap the window a little bit and wait for her to hear me.

Her head peeks up and she places down the wine, peering through the glass.

"Mom", I whisper and spread my fingers on the glass.

But then all of a sudden my father walks through the foyer and catches her attention.

I quickly turn my body against the house and close my eyes.

I hear muffled talking, so I give up and sneak back through the gates.

Should I go to Eli's?

Tell him I'm okay.

Maybe Andrea made up some fake story about how I got into a car crash?

I shake my head from the thought and continue walking down the pavement.

I probably look like a homeless person with my hair all knotted up and eye bags darkening my face.

I've also lost a ton of weight in the hospital so I'm pure bones, but I plan on getting it back with some muscle.

The sky turns hues of orange, which makes me remember that one night Matteo and I went on some stupid picnic.

Flashback:

"What are you doing", I laugh and watch as Matteo grabs something from his car and pulls a lighter out of his pocket.

I see two lanterns when he sits back down on the blanket and lays them out.

"Ever have a wish you so desperately want to come true?"

"Yeah of course, who doesn't?"

"Well then", he says and hands me a sharpie.

I raise an eyebrow at him and set down my sandwich, before biting the cap off with my teeth.

"Write it down."

After moments of thinking, I pull the ink to the thick paper and scribble it down.

Matteo try's to peek over at mine, but I turn it so it's only visible to me.

When we're both finished he grabs two candles and lights them.

We place the candles in and smile at each other before releasing them into the air.

"What did you write?" I ask and watch as they float away. "What's your greatest wish?"

"Well because I've already gotten my wish I just wrote down one word."

"And what's that?" I ask and bite my lip in excitement, with each foot the lantern moves from us.

"You."

I turn my head and see he was already staring at me.

"I wished one day I would be able to learn how to love someone. And that person is you." He says and I soften my smile. "Davina Blackwell, whom I will marry someday and have dozens of babies with."

"Who knew you were such a romantic", I say and lean my head on his shoulder. "I made you soft."

"Only for you", he whispers and kisses my head.

"I love you."

"I love you more."

My stomach rolls from that memory.

He never had asked me what I wrote down that night. I think he respected my wish and wanted me to keep it to myself so it came true.

But the funny thing is it didn't.

I wished one day I would be the happiest woman alive, becoming the thing my father always said I would never be.

But Matteo crushed it.

Like every other thing, he comes in contact with.