𝑇𝐻𝐼𝑅𝑇𝐸𝐸𝑁

Present:

Sunbeams down on my skin, burning straight through it, and I can't wait to find out how bad of a sunburn I got.

A margarita sits nicely in my hand, as I blink through my sunglasses and lay flat against for chair.

So calm.

Laughter fills the air as I peer down and watch little kids grab a bucket of sand, and follow it up to their parents where big sun castles are made.

So perfect.

Waves crash against the shore, and I smile sweetly to myself, savoring this moment.

God, I love the beach.

Everything about it.

Sunsets later in the day, and the feel of sand between my toes.

I sip on my drink and twirl the little umbrella between my fingertips.

After some time, I make my way off the beach and into my apartment.

I place down my sandy bags on the chair, peeling off my bikini and letting the hot shower take its course on my skin.

Maybe I'll go parasailing today?

Or maybe I'll go out for dinner and do some shopping?

My feet pat against the floor as I make my way into my closet and pull out a tank top and shorts.

I pour a cup of water and sink my back into the chair.

I blink at the thought, while my hands grip the wheel.

Where should I go?

The Bahamas or maybe Hawaii?

So many places I can travel to, and become so happy.

All of my bags are packed in the trunk as I go down a street, reading to exit the highway.

I have all of Matteo's cash and cards, knowing damn well he won't stop me from using it all.

The song "Burning Pile" by Mother Mother plays, and I relax my head against the seat.

I'm gonna have it all.

I smile at the thought.

I'm finally gonna be happy and take advantage of every second that my feet walk along with this world.

I stop smiling when I think of what I said to Matteo.

I love you.

I never planned on telling him that, but I mean I thought he was gonna die. And I was acting like a crazy person trying to save his life, so I let the words slip out.

I'm not gonna sit here and pretend I don't love him. I do. But I know my hatred for him consumes that love, and I'm completely fine with that.

I stop at the gas station and make my way inside, pilling all types of snacks on the counter.

The cashier looks down at me and scans my stuff.

"40 on pump 12", I say and hand him money.

Making my way back to the car, I shove all of my food into the passenger seat and make my way to the gas pump.

I lean against the car while it fills and looks out into the road.

I'm kind of in the middle of nowhere, but a couple of cars drive, and some stop.

Beaches, sun, hot surfer boys... I think in my head, but my attention snaps to a white Tesla entering.

I finish the gas and make my way inside the car, looking at the Tesla from my review mirror.

The windows are blacked out, and I feel an uneasy twist in my gut.

I gotta get out of here now.

I slam on the gas and charge out of the place, popping some sour patch kids on the way.

That car looks so familiar it makes my skin crawl.

I keep a knife settled in my hand just in case, watching the car follow me.

"Fuck", I growl and take a sharp left, going 100mph, so I can try and lose the car.

But it stays on me, so I pull over and grip the knife in my hand.

Could it be Matteo?

He doesn't know anything about me leaving, and he's stuck in a hospital bed, so I doubt it's him.

Someone from his mafia?

The car drives past me and turns around, so it faces directly in front of my car.

I can't even see inside the damn thing.

My blood starts to pump when the drive door opens and-

Oh

My

God.

My father steps out and fixes his suit, so he looks presentable. He looks the same like I remembered.

Dark slicked back hair and hazel eyes that used to torment me.

I get out of my car, and he stops and looks.

His lips part and his eyes are glued to my face.

I step closer, still keeping my knife in my hand.

"How did you find me?" I say and cock my head to the side.

"Y-you're alive", he whispers and the saddest smile creases his face.

"Yeah", I mumble. "Answer my question."

"Does that matter right now? You're alive!"

"Wish I wasn't?" I throwback at him and he frowns.

"I was hoping you were."

I step back in shock until I hear the passenger side open.

"Mom", I cry out and run to hear, throwing my hands around her neck.

"Oh my god", she pants and squeezes me tighter. I feel her tears soak my shirt. "Baby where have you been?!"

"I missed you", I nuzzle my head into her neck and smile at her familiar scent.

She mumbles something, but then I remember my father standing two feet away.

I slowly turn around and see his tears well up with my eyes.

"I'm so sorry for what I did to you", he whispers. "I'll never do anything like that again."

I nod, deciding that's good enough for right now.

"Come home with us", my mother pleads.

But what about the beach?

Suddenly the waves are silent and my mother cries are tuning in.

My parents miss me.

And God I don't even remember the last time I was home.

"Okay", I nod and chew on my bottom lip. "Okay."

I follow them on the way home and peer down at the ring in the box.

I told myself I would move forward and ruin them all.

But now everything's going backward, especially when I slip the band on my finger.