𝑇𝐸𝑁

PAST:

*5 months before he tried to kill her*

"That was the cheesiest movie ever", I laugh and hold Matteo's hand in mine.

He stops and turns me to face him. The bright lights of New York City behind us, and the moon illuminating down upon us.

His hands softly cup my cheek.

His eyes turn serious as he strokes my cheek and parts his lips.

"You, Davina", he pauses and acts like he's gonna cry. "Are my exception."

We both burst out laughing, and I nudge him with my shoulder.

"That was so romantic, I'm blushing."

Matteo grins at me and wraps an arm around my shoulder, while we continue to walk down the street.

Buildings pass by, but I stop at one.

Three lamps glow off the wide, marbled steps and wooden doors with a carving- stand in the center.

My converse tap against the stone as I make my way up the stairs and to the doorknob.

"Wanna get married?" I smirk at Matteo and he cocks an eyebrow.

I pull a hair clip out of my hair and bend it, slowly putting it in the keyhole.

"This is breaking and entering you know?"

"Since when do you follow rules?" I say over my shoulder and squat down so I can focus on unlocking it.

"You're breaking into a church."

"This place is closing down", I say and smile in satisfaction when I hear the lock click. "Might as well do it."

I open the door and wait for Matteo to follow me.

"If we get caught I'm saying you kidnapped me and held me against my will."

"If we get caught I'm throwing you in front of the cop and running."

He chuckles to himself and follows me through the door.

The place is dark beside the light hue coming from the back room.

"Aren't their cameras here?" He asks and I graze my fingertips over the wooden seats.

"No", I shake my head and look in the corner of boxes packed. "Closes down tomorrow, so they took them down."

Matteo walks to the altar and stands on the step.

"Shoo, it's bad luck to see you before the ceremony."

I roll my eyes and walk into one of the rooms, lacing my fingers through my hair to try and fix it.

My eyes spot fake roses sitting on a table, so I grab them and fix my sweatshirt.

All of a sudden I hear "Video Games" by Lana Del Ray play.

How did he-?

I clear my throat and open the door.

I keep my eyes down before I look up and lock eyes with Matteo.

He's standing there, with a smile on his face.

My steps are slow.

Our eyes locked.

My lips curve into a smile, and Matteo's eyes travel to it.

"God I love your smile" he once said, and ever since then I catch him looking at it.

I finally make my way up the row and stand across from him.

My flowers are in my hand, but I fling them behind me.

"The bridesmaids are a little slow today", I whisper and roll my eyes.

He laughs and takes my hand in his.

"Vows?"

"'Mhm", I say.

Matteo hooks a finger under my chin, while the other one holds my hand.

"Davina Elizabeth Blackwell", he says and I softly smile. "I vow to be the best parts of me that fit perfectly with the best parts of you. I promise to support you when you're sad, to guide you when you ask for direction, to challenge you to be a better person, and allow you to do the same for me to be your biggest fan and your ever-present listening audience."

Tears well up in my eyes, but I blink them away and sniffle.

I know mines not going to be as great as his. Hell, it's not even gonna be about taking care of him for when he's sick. But I know Matteo will be just as grateful for it, then he is every time I say I love you.

"Matteo Zion Creed, I vow that I will be the best possible partner, that I can be. To remind you every day how much I love you and your obsession with teenage romance films, your face masks, and how much you refused to change your toothpaste until you let me pick the one I wanted."

I sound stupid, but it's just him and I, so I could give to shits about what people think.

"I love you with every single fiber of my being. I love how our bones mold perfectly when we cuddle, and I love how you refuse to sleep if a part of you isn't touching my bare skin."

A tear slips from his eye, but I swipe it off and kiss it away. "And I'll love everything about that, until the day that I die."

"Screw waiting", he says and smashes his lips to mine.

I grin against him and wrap my arms around his neck.

"Hey!" I hear someone call out from outside. A bright flash glows into the room. "Who's there?"

Matteo and I flash glances before we break out into a sprint and go through the back door.

The police officer runs after us, but we're faster.

His hand linked in mine, we laugh at each other and turn down the alleyway.

The police officer stops running and decides to give up.

I laugh so hard, I hold my stomach and Matteo does the same.

"I thought you were gonna throw me to the cop?" He quirks an amused smile at me, but I wave my hand and walk away.

"I couldn't let my husband go to jail now could I?"