There Were Monsters

"Before there was time.."

"Before there was anything.."

"There was nothing.."

"And before there was nothing...

"There were MONSTERS"

3rd person POV

Another day went by.

No one questioned Steven and his new, strange, lifestyle.

Ever since the fight with Spinnel and the injector, he was never the same.

Ever since his body healed, his perspective changed and he acquired the power to change, everyone thought things would go back to the happily ever after they sought after.

They were wrong.

And (y/n) was the only one that noticed.

"Steven, are you feeling okay?" (y/n) asked Steven as he got out of bed. "is it the nightmares again ?"

Steven had been having several nightmares. The stronger he got, the more developed and mature he became, something in his mind started to appear.

Like an image, starting to clear after being blurry for his whole life.

"I.. i don't feel good (y/n)" Steven said exhausted, with a worried face "this dream was different"

"how different?" (y/n) sat down at his side and put an arm around his shoulders "was this dream you had also about... killing?"

Steven clenched his fists, and frowned as if trying to forget what he had just dreamt. this dream was different, far worse that anything he had ever experienced.

"I saw my mom" Steven said with a face full of fear. "at first, I saw space. something floating in space."

Steven tried to start from the beginning, taking deep breaths to calm down.

"it seemed like.. a slime. just floating in space, but throughout the years it grew. it grew until it became a comet, and that very comet landed on a planet and-"

Steven paused.

"what is it?" (y/n) tried to understand what Steven was saying

"I'm not sure what happened next but, next thing I saw was death" Steven let out some tears, and continued on a shaky voice "I saw death and fire everywhere. a whole world in chaos. mountains and mountains of corpses"

Steven cried "and on top of those corpses, i saw my mom" Steven said covering his eyes, unable to handle the gruesome experience he had.

(y/n) was shocked. unable to say a word.

Without hesitation, he hugged Steven hoping it could calm him down. He suggested they go back to sleep, reassuring Steven that he will be safe on (y/n)s arms.

Steven desperately seeked any sort of comfort, safety, and quickly embraced (y/n) in bed. petrified of the image that would be waiting for him the moment he closed his eyes.

-
-
-

Several weeks passed, and Steven's happiness, his way of life seemed to be deteriorating.

His eyes started to look void of life. The bags around his eyes and the panic tendencies he had sometimes were really taking a toll on him. and at this point (y/n), as well as the gems started to wonder if nightmares were not only what Steven had.