one

my story starts in san francisco 1987. it was a dark, rainy night, but my assignment wasn't based off of the weather. it was marcus lopez arguello. he's the lunatic orphan who killed all the kids and staff in the boy's home he grew up in. according to lin, headmaster of king's dominion, he could be good for our school. and of course, i was the one who would have to pick him up off the dirty streets. 

as i walked out to my bike, i pulled on my helmet and hopped onto my motorcycle. master lin gave me the address and details of a place marcus was last seen. apparently it was some run down camp site under a bridge where the homeless lived. the government is supposed to donate more money to the homeless. but no, they spend it all on themselves. 

once i arrived at the destination, i removed my helmet and marcus was no where to be found. i had a few pictures provided by master lin, but nobody there looked even remotely close to marcus. i figured i would need to ask someone if they've seen him. i laid my helmet on the seat of my bike and walked over to one of the tents. it was blue, covered in dirt, and had a man sitting outside of it.

he was scruffy-looking. his beard was nappy, he wore a coat that was drenched in mud, and his teeth were black from smoking. i pulled out one of the pictures from my pocket and showed it to the man. "you recognize this guy?" i asked while holding up the picture. "yeah. he lives right over there." the man said as he drowsily pointed to another tent that was clearly empty. "well do you know where he went?" i asked while shoving the picture back in my pocket. "he comes and goes." the mysterious man said with a cocky smile. he wanted something in return.

i rolled my eyes and dug around in the back pocket of my jeans. i pulled out a 50 dollar bill and held it up to him. "tell me where he is, and it's your's." i said with a smirk. the man gasped and stood up. "he went to the corner-store on 45th. probably going to buy cigarettes or apple slices. "apple slices?" i thought. that's pretty random. "thanks." i said with a shrug before handing him the money and turning away. 

although i was 99% sure this man would blow the money on drugs, i needed a way to make him cave. and it work. i arrived at my bike and pulled my helmet back over my head. i got back on and started driving down to 45th street. i'd been there a million times before. being in king's dominion means you have very limited freedom. i've never left the state, or even my city. i know the way around like the back of my hand now.

it was always so weird here. druggies dangling their limbs like rag dolls in the dark corners, drug deals going on down the alleyways. the neon lights shined brightly and reflected onto everyone's skin and clothes, turning them various colors. soon i arrived at the mart. before i walked in, i noticed a few cop cars sitting outside of the mart. maybe they were looking for something too. i kept a low profile and headed into the store. i walked up and down a few aisles, trying to seem like a normal customer. 

i arrived at the fruit section where i saw someone who looked suspicious. i remembered the man at the camp site told me marcus sometimes goes to the market for apple slices. i tried to examine the boy without being too obvious. i walked around to the other side of the fruit section and was now standing over a mountain of oranges. i took occasional glances at him, and noticed he had a few scars on his face. his cheekbones were noticeable and his cupid's bow was prominent. it was him. i wasn't sure how to approach the situation, so i just tried to stay chill.

"marcus lopez." i said quietly as i continued to look down to the oranges. he sort of looked up and pretended to not notice me so i dropped the whole 'chill' thing. "marcus lopez." i said a little louder as i looked up to him. "who are you?" he said blankly without even looking up from the apples. it was almost as if he'd been through this a million times before.

"i need you to come with me." i said keeping my identity secret. "who. are. you." he asked again, turning to me with a sarcastic grin before picking out an apple that fit his standards. he then started to walk around the store.  "i can't tell you that. not here. just come with me and i'll tell you everything." i said as i followed him around trying to get his attention. "listen," he said as he stopped and turned to me. "i'm not going anywhere with some random girl that found me in a store, ok? have a good night." he said. he then walked out of the store before i could even get another word out.

as he left, i realized he had just stolen an apple. but i also remembered the cop cars that were outside. i could still see marcus through the front window of the market. he quickly noticed the cop cars sitting there, and ran in the opposite direction. the wind caused his hood to be pulled off and revealed his curls that bounced around with every stride he took.

i rolled my eyes and ran outside to my bike. i heard the sirens of the cop cars echoing down the street. i quickly put on my helmet, hopped on, and started chasing marcus. i obviously passed the cops but not marcus. he was fast and was already miles ahead the cops. he ran into a parking garage and eventually reached the end. his only option was to jump off the side of the garage, but i don't think today was the day he thought of committing suicide.

i somehow caught up to him but the cops were right on my tail. "hop on." i said with a smirk, hiding the urgency we needed. he was still in shock and couldn't even comprehend what i was saying so he just stayed there on the ground. "marcus, come on, the cops are gonna be here any minute." i said as i motioned for him to get on the back seat. but once again, he just stared like a deer in headlights.

soon enough, the cops arrived. their tires stopped with a screech and two men in uniforms came out of each side of the car. i quickly grabbed the gun off the side of my motorcycle and stood up. "DROP YOUR WEAPON! HANDS UP!"the guarded policemen said to me as i got up. their guns pointed directly at me. fine. i dropped the gun, and put my hands up. but as they walked closer, one of them pulled out a pair of handcuffs. yeah, no. that's not happening today. 

he grabbed my hands to put in the cuffs and this is where my cooperation ended. i pushed him off of my hands and continued to hold his arm in my palms. i twisted it so it would break, and the cop fell to the ground. "really, after all my cooperation?" i asked as i looked down to him and let him go. "hands up! hands up!" the other cop said without shooting. "you must be a rookie." i said as i walked closer to him. he finally tried to shoot, but i dodged it and tripped him. he fell to his side and his gun fell out of his hand. i picked it up and shot both of them in the leg just so they wouldn't run after me.

by then, my friends willie and billy had arrived. they knocked out marcus and threw a bag on his head. willie threw marcus in the back of his car next to wear billy sat. i hopped into the passenger seat and took a deep breath. "easy peasy, right?" willie said as he teased me. "yeah, easy peasy. now shut up and drive." i said before resting my arm outside of the window.

willie chuckled and stepped on the gas and they were on their way back to where they came from. king's dominion atelier of the deadly arts. school for young assassins.