thirty-one

the thoughts of my doe-eyed ex were interrupted by the sound of the bell ringing. shit! i was late and on the complete opposite side of the school. therefore, not only am i late, but i'm gonna miss a lot of class, which is not good for me right now.

after about 5 minutes of traveling to the other side of the school. i finally reached my classroom. i stood behind the large wooden door and prepared myself to be dehumanized by my angry teacher. once i was ready, i pushed the wooden door forward. the loud creak made by the old hinges caused each and every head ton turn towards me.

"oh, ms. marshall." my teacher said. i was going to reply, but as i looked around the room, i noticed a pair of familiar eyes facing me. it was marcus. my eyes locked with his, and it was like i was just tuning everything else out. "ms. marshall." my teacher said once more, sounding a bit sterner.

i quickly detached my eyes from marcus and turned towards my professor. "do you have a reasoning for being late?" he asked as he looked to me with posture that showed his annoyance. "i-, um-, i was just-." i tried making up a lie, but my teacher cut me off. "save it." he interrupted me, "sit down."

i obeyed and when to go sit down at me seat, which was conveniently placed right next to marcus. as i sat, i avoided eye contact with him, which wasn't hard since he just stared down towards his desk the whole time. every now and then, i'd get the urge to look over to him. and when i did, he would just continue looking down or just completely away. i don't know what was wrong with him, or what i did, but i'd give anything to just be able to talk to him again.

somehow i got through the rest of class, but now it's time for lunch. i walked down to the lunchroom, without much excitement, and got in line to wait for the mush i had no choice to eat. well, i guess i did have the option to starve, but i don't think an empty stomach would make me feel any better.

i got my lunch and then realized i had to decide where to sit.  i looked over to the kuroki and saw the eyes of the members staring into my soul as if to say, "make the decision, kennedy.". i felt like i was hearing their voices murmuring things too me all at once. i tore my eyes away from them and directed my vision towards the table where the rats sit. i saw billy, who had huge smile on his face and was motioning for me to come sit with them. then i saw marcus turn around, looking like he was wondering what billy was looking at. once he saw me, he sighed and slowly turned around it.

my god, why does it have to be so hard to eat lunch? this was too much for me to deal with for the 3rd time today so i just decided to eat somewhere else. i figured i could find an empty table or just eat in the bathroom. i quickly turned around with the intention of leaving, but when i turned around, i bumped into someone. their tray of thick, yet mushy spaghetti splashed all over my uniform.

the hot red sauce was running down my chest and arms, as if it was contaminating my clean white shirt. i even noticed a few chunks of tomato had catapulted into the ends of my hair and face. i wiped the dripping sauce off of my chin and noticed everyone in the cafeteria was laughing. i started to walk out of the cafeteria, desperate to end this embarrassment, but noticed marcus was following me. he had some pocket tissues in his hand and was trying to give them to me.

"marcus-." i started, before he cut me off. "not right now, kennedy, just takle the damn napkins, alright?" he said as she held the tissues out. i looked at him, his eyes once again looking desperate, but i could tell he was trying to hide it. i sighed and took the tissues from him and started to walk towards the door. i heard the laughs continue but just tried to tune it out.

"unless you all want an hour off curfew, i suggest you stop laughing." i heard lin's voice say, following the sound of the wooden doors being opened. lin then looked over to me, and then to marcus. "kennedy, go get yourself cleaned up. marcus, you go with her. and everybody else who thought this was funny, can come clean up the floor. and the rest of the school during detention after classes are over." lin said as he looked around the cafeteria. the smiles on everyone's faces then turned to disappointed looks, almost as if they were children and you just stole their candy.

i looked to lin and couldn't help but crack a slight smile. "thanks, lin." i said before marcus came up next to me. "let's go." he said as he helped me into the hallway.

"marcus, you know i can do this myself right?" i asked as we both walked towards the bathrooms. "lin told me to come." he said as he looked down to me. the rest of the walk to the bathroom was awkward and silent. it's crazy how quickly something can change between people. i mean, it was just a couple of days ago marcus and i were head over heels for each other. but now we can't even speak to each other.

once we reached the bathroom, i turned on the sink, and looked in the mirror. i noticed all the tomato chunks that were in my hair and face. i wiped my face off with one of the tissues marcus gave men, and then raked my fingers through my hair in an attempt to clean it. i then started cleaning off my shirt when i noticed marcus behind me in the mirror. he was watching me, and i turned to him. he was leaning on one of the stalls, his tie loosened, his hair a little messy was if he raked his fingers through it a few times.

"you're staring, you wanna come help me, or something?" i asked as i looked to him. he kind of shook his head and laughed before he walked over to me. he started by wiping down my right arm. i held my arm out and looked to him as he gently tried to wipe the red stain off of my arm. 

"i hate this school." he said without looking away from my arm. "why?" i asked, even though i could think of a few reasons i didn't like it here myself. "well for starters, the kids here act like they're 12. i mean, you bumped into someone, its not a comedy show." he said causing me to chuckle a little bit. he looked up from em arm and into my eyes.

his eyes were no longer desperate, but loving and warm. i felt like i was getting lost in the various shades of brown that made up his eyes. "and for 2.." marcus started as he slowly got closer to me. "they forced me to leave the only person i've actually had love for." he said before clenching his jaw hard. i felt his eyes move from mine to my lips, and then back to my eyes. the urge to connect my lips with his was strong, but i new i couldn't. 

i backed away from him, pulling my arm back towards myself, and leaving him standing alone looking like someone stranded in the middle of a desert. "marcus, i'm sorry i just-." i started but he cut me off. "no i get it. you follow the rules, and im the one that has to suffer." he said as he started to walk out of the bathroom. "you think you're the only one who's having trouble with this? what, do you think i want this?" you think this isn't affecting me?" i asked as i walked closer to him.

"no! i don't think it affects you!" he yelled as he turned back to me. "well it does!" i yelled back.  i guess he didn't know what to say after because he just bit the inside of his lip and shook his head. "marcus." i said trying to get his attention, but he just ignored me. "marcus, look at me." i said once more. his picked up his head, revealing his watery eyes. 

i quickly moved closer to him and looked up to his eyes. "listen. the only reason i listened to what lin said is because he helped me when no one else did. and i know he'd never do anything to hurt me. or you, because he knows i care about you. i love you, ok?" i said as i maintained eye contact with him. he swallowed hard and gently nodded. 

"maybe you should just go get some rest." i said. i didnt really know what to say, so i kinda just looked at him. "i'll see you later, i guess." marcus said before leaving the bathroom and falling into the dark abyss of the door. once i heard the door shut, i looked back to myself in the mirror. my frizzy hair, my red-stained shirt, i was a mess. no way i could go back to class. so, i didn't.