twenty-four

marcus and i walked around the city looking for the best dress places. most of the stores that sold dresses were bridal shops, but we aren't there yet. however,. marcus and i stumbled across a vintage antiques store. in the window, they had a beautiful black dress on a mannequin. once it caught my eye, i was stopped in my tracks. 

the dress had a long, black train in the back, with black roses lined around the whole thing. the sleeves were long, but looked very blowy and almost enchantress-like. marcus noticed i was stopped, and looked to me. once he noticed i was looking through the window, he looked too. "you like that one?" he asked as he pointed a little through our interlocked hands. "yeah." i said in admiration as i stared at the dress. "c'mon, let's go in." marcus said as he opened the door for me.

when we walked in, a little bell rang above us. it was an alert to the employees that a customer had just walked in, of course. there was an old lady sitting behind the desk that had seemed baffled that we had walked in. "oh my! i haven't had customers all week! what can i do for you?" the woman said as she shot up from behind the counter and rushed over to marcus and i.

her skin was dark, and her hair was white and grey. it was pinned up in a bun that laid on the top of her head with a couple strands hanging out. she had bright red glasses, which had cat frames and a green pin through her hair. i couldn't tell if she had a lot of chest, or was just chubby. she was pretty to me, though. her outfit was artsy. a long skirt, knitted sweater, with a thin scarf around her neck. she had as lot of rings, bracelets, and necklaces on too. but her earrings? they were large and green and probably my favorite item from her outfit.

"do you think i could try on that dress?" i asked as i pointed to the mannequin in the window. "why, of course! i've been waiting for someone to try it, and i think it'd be the perfect fit for you! you two go wait in the back, and i'll bring it back to you." the woman said as she scurried towards the mannequin. she may have been old, but she still had a bit of pep in her step.

marcus and i made our way to the back of the store, which had a few dressing rooms. nothing fancy, but it'll work. it didn't take long for the woman to bring the dress back. she hurried back and placed the dress in my arms. "let me know how it fits! it's on sale for 45 dollars, today!" the woman said before leaving the dressing room area and going back to her desk.

i walked into the dressing room and removed everything but my under garments. i pulled the dress on through my feet and put my arms through the sleeves. it fit like a glove. the bodice hugged my waist, but not too much, and the train was perfect. however, there was a zipper in the back i wasn't able to get on my own.

"maracas, do you think you could get this zipper i can't-, what is wrong with you?" i said as i opened the fitting room door, but realized marcus had been looking sorta funny. his face was flushed with blood, burning red, and his eyes were wide. "i- you-...wow." marcus said as he stuttered over his words. i scoffed at marcus's statement. "just help me zip, would you?" i said as i turned around. marcus moved closer to me and i moved my hair out of the way.

"WOW! you look beautiful!" the woman from the front said once marcus was done zippering my dress and i turned around. i was flattered, and a huge smile appeared on my face. "i know just the thing!" the woman said as she quickly left the room and started mumbling to herself. marcus and i looked to each other and chuckled.

"she's not lying, you do look beautiful." marcus said as he turned and looked down to me. "thank you." i said with a wide smile as i stood on my tip toes and kissed him. we were interrupted by the woman who came running in with a suit. "SO, it matches the dress. fully black, roses, and it seems it might fit you perfectly!" the woman said as the handed marcus the suit. "alright, i'll try it on, thanks." marcus said with a bit of an awkward smile as he took the suit. "i'll be waiting." i said with a smile as marcus made his way into the dressing room.