5 - Shaun

When Shaun emerged from her bedroom, her mother smiled. Looking down at the elegant gold metallic and green jacquard gown, she instantly pulled her shoulders back and held her head high. She had never tried on a strapless gown before. The owner of the boutique assured her she and the dress were a perfect match. If only she and her husband were.

Sarah smiled. "You look beautiful, darling."

She felt like an imposter. It had been years since she stepped out in Boston society. The doorbell rang and Stella rushed to greet Jimmy with Tansy behind her.

Jimmy had visited once a week since his uncle's passing. He leaned down and kissed Tansy. Shaun thought of Eliot and frowned.

He also bent to greet Sarah with a kiss on the cheek. Sarah smiled. "You look like my brother."

The handsome man nodded and turned to Shaun and winked. "You look good, little cousin. They recruited me for the bachelor auction, but don't worry, I'm covered."

Sarah rubbed her hands together. "Tell me."

"A client's wife is bidding on me in exchange for some financial advice."

The Sinclair name was synonymous with one of the oldest development capital firms. It was the predecessor of the modern private equity firm. The Sinclairs' wealth went beyond the McManuses. Sarah Sinclair married for love, not status. Her nephew, Jimmy, had a reputation for being a shrewd entrepreneur and had taken a leadership role in the family business his father oversaw.

Sarah put her hands to her pink cheeks. "You two have fun. I loved my dancing days."

Her smile was contagious. Shaun kissed Tansy, and before she could worry about leaving her, Stella shooed them out the door. Jimmy guided her out, and the driver opened the door to the waiting car. She felt like a princess.

Once settled in the back seat, she looked at Jimmy's profile. "No date?"

He smirked. "My dating days have slowed since I turned thirty. The prospects are limited."

"Divorced women, like me?"

He looked at her seriously. "Shaun, you aren't divorced yet, but none of them are like you. You're a breath of fresh air to the stuffed up crowd. You'll have men clamoring to meet you."

Just the thought made her shiver. Running into someone from school terrorized her. She reminded herself she had been invisible, but on Jimmy's arm, invisibility would be hard to achieve.

The minute they stepped into the crowded ballroom, she wanted to turn around. At their table, Jimmy shook hands with some older gentlemen. As they launched into return on investment, Shaun slipped away to the bar. Alone, she felt less conspicuous, oblivious to the number of heads she turned.

The line was longer than the women's room line at the ballet. Before Tansy, she and Eliot had attended the theater and ballet. Was it her fault? She must have been lacking for him to choose her friend. Did she push him aside for their daughter?

The bantering behind Shaun amused her. When the woman said Dex, she turned to see. Dex was the nickname of her highschool crush. Her eyes met the hazel pair she daydreamed about years before. Afraid to stare, she only took in his full head of hair. After ordering wine for herself and Jimmy, she turned and just missed bumping into Joshua.

He smiled as he joked. "Red wine would clash with my tux and lower my value."

His value? Surely, he wasn't part of the archaic auction? She scoffed when her mother gave her a blank check. Her belly felt funny thinking of him for sale.

Back at their table, Jimmy thanked her for the wine. As the conversation turned away from business, she joined in. Meanwhile, she debated if it was rude to take her phone out to google Joshua Roche. She felt eyes on her, but every time she dared to look up, he was leaning into a beautiful blond or laughing with his old friend. Both Oliver Sumner and Joshua looked better with age.