17 - Shaun

Shaun woke on Sunday morning with a smile. She rolled over to find her bed empty. Either Tansy had slept in her own bed or she was already awake. The sprawling house her father had built after her mother's paralysis had two wings. One was her parents, which included their bedroom, her father's study, and her mother's sitting room.

The other wing had four rooms. Shaun's childhood bedroom with an adjoining playroom and two guestrooms. All the bedrooms had private baths. Since her marriage, Shaun had slept in one of the guestrooms.

She climbed out of bed and slipped into her robe. Her pink toe nails caught her eye. She and Holly had a spa day, complete with a champagne lunch the day before. Shaun had her first pedicure in a very long time. It had been a luxury she couldn't afford. The warm spring weather meant sandals, although she preferred riding boots.

Holly had made a metamorphosis since high school. Being extremely smart worked as an adult. She worked in a research lab and was involved with things Shaun didn't want to comprehend. Unlike Shaun, Holly excelled in science and had successfully found the right man. Gabe was extremely intelligent, and they worked as a couple. Shaun laughed at her friend's stories. It was obvious both husband and wife lacked common sense and were destined to burn their house down.

Holly laughed at Shaun's account of the auction, and PB&J. "I look forward to seeing him at your mother's party."

"You don't have to go. I know you hate talking to strangers."

Holly waved her hand. "I go every year. Your mother was so kind to me growing up."

"She had to be. You were my only friend. Joshua is going to ask Oliver."

Holly patted her chest. "I wonder if he is still gorgeous."

"He is and supposedly has the perfect wife. You have a perfect husband."

"I say you should have your filthy rich cousin pay off your loser husband and move here for good. Then you could celebrate by getting horizontal with the hotty who helps your mom ride or Joshua, or both. One at a time."

Shaun blushed. "What have you done with my quiet, reserved friend?"

Holly laughed. "In high school, I would have bet I'd die a virgin." She leaned in. "I love sex."

Shaun laughed. "You're shut off."

She walked to the kitchen, smiling over the memory.

"Good morning." Stella greeted her.

"Tansy isn't up?"

"Just me enjoying the quiet."

"I think she stayed in her bed!"

She returned to her wing of the house to confirm Tansy's door was shut and the playroom was empty. She looked forward to a quiet cup of coffee.

Back in the kitchen, Stella nagged her about eating breakfast. She was never a big eater, but didn't have much of an appetite since her life imploded.

"I'll eat with Tansy. You know I'm not big on breakfast."

Stella muttered under her breath. "Breakfast, lunch, or dinner."

Shaun had been too thin in high school. Her parents and Stella worried. She hid under baggy clothes, so her figure was as invisible as she was. Holly ate and hid her lack of curves under clothes. Her friend had trimmed down in college and had enough curves to make her husband happy. Shaun smiled and then frowned. Holly mentioned sex a lot. Shaun had thought she was doing it right, but maybe if she was better at satisfying Eliot's needs.

"Don't think about that, dumbass. You are too good for him. I'll tell you every day if I have to." A knock at the door interrupted Stella's lecture. She went and ushered Morgan in.