34 - Josh

Josh stood in Shaun's house looking at how beautiful she was, even thinner than she should be.

"So, why did you break up with Ann?"

Josh laughed like it was a release of tension. He pushed the pizza box towards her. "Eat while I talk."

"Are you hungry?"

He shook his head. "No, Jimmy had food on the flight."

"And scotch."

"He told me he'd give me a bottle for Christmas."

Shaun laughed. "He gives everyone a bottle. If he knew I wouldn't kill him, he'd give Tansy a bottle. Eliot loved it. He drank the entire bottle. I got my father's watch back."

He smiled. "Seriously."

She smiled. "Blackmail. Drink this, it's good. I have another bottle. It's cheaper, but... Ann tell me about Ann."

"Eat." He watched as she took a bite of cheese pizza. "I liked her, but she worked too much."

"You work a lot too."

"True, but our motives are different. She's driven to succeed and I work because it beats an empty condo. Once a week dating wasn't for me."

"I can't believe she didn't want to see you more."

"I know. She was missing out on this." He waved his hands in front of him." She laughed, and his chest expanded. He missed her laugh. "Her goal is to be promoted to New York, and mine. Mine is not NYC."

"So you broke up with her."

He nodded. "I left as friends. I doubt we'll be calling to talk, but if we run into each other it won't be awkward."

"I'm envious."

"It was different. We never even used the 'L' word."

Shaun laughed. "What are you in middle school?"

He smirked but didn't laugh. His mind had moved on. "Shaun, why did you run away and shut us out?"

She looked at her hands and pushed on a cuticle. "I had to make it on my own, so I came back and confronted Eliot about finishing the process. I was tired of him controlling things. I need to be in control of my life."

"Good for you. So you worked it out? How often does she see her father?"

Shaun looked at him and bit her trembling lip. Josh felt his heart break. Were they sharing her evenly?

She let out a breath. "He doesn't. He didn't request time with her."

"Sonofabitch!" Josh wanted to request time with her to make up for her father. Maybe Easton would fill the role, although Tansy didn't seem interested in him.

"It hit me hard. I have a lot of resentment towards his social life, not that I want it."

"How do you know what he's up to?" Did she track him?

"Courtney makes sure I hear about it."

"Courtney?"

She nodded. "I got my old job back."

"I knew you were working, but not..."

"It's humiliating. Although I blackmailed her for the money he stole and the watch. I haven't had to sell it... yet."

"You don't need to sell it. Come to me if..."

"Don't you get it? I'm trying to stand on my own two feet?"

"Sorry." Josh ran his fingers through his hair. "I'm so sorry. I sat in temple asking for forgiveness while my mother pointed out potential dates."

"She what?"