35 - Shaun

Shaun felt her head spinning. After years of failing to get by, she had money. It didn't matter how much it was. The four thousand Courtney gave her felt like a fortune. She wasn't sure she was ready to know. A part of her wanted to be mad at her father and cousin. Then she cringed, knowing Eliot would have spent it all.

Jimmy hugged her. "I think you should move back to Dover. If you live with your mother for a while, the douche will never get wind of your financial situation. Fly Tansy back for her days with Daddy."

Josh looked at Shaun. She felt the hit of Eliot's rejection again. "The douche doesn't have daddy days scheduled." Did Josh read her mind or step out of bounds?

"All the better. You hate it here. Don't lie?"

She paced. "But I want to stand on my own two feet. I wanted to provide for my daughter."

Jimmy stepped in front of her, stopping her. "You have for years. It was never your efforts that failed. Don't you know how proud your father was of you? Only once did you need help and that was to keep this house."

It was true. Eliot blew through money, and she kept working and putting food on the table.

Josh stood and approached her. "You should be proud of what you've done. We can't control others. The douche made his decision, and I say it's his loss. If I had a kid like Tansy, I would fight for as much time as possible."

"You wouldn't ever be in my situation."

He shook his head. "I stayed with Ann for longer than I should have. We all do things to avoid loneliness or to feel loved. I have no doubt he loved you or was an amazing actor."

Jimmy chuckled. "He should try his luck in Hollywood."

"He has the looks." Shaun could see him on the screen, fooling the world.

Josh surprised her. "Let's let it all soak in." He stepped towards her. "We'll be back in the morning." He brushed his lips on her cheeks. She wished she had turned his head to reach his lips like Easton had with hers. "We'll take you out for a big breakfast."

The two left before she could respond. Alone in her little house, not alone, with Tansy she was never alone. No regrets. Her daughter was worth every painful tear.

As she cleaned up the wine glasses, there was pizza left. She picked up a piece and ate it. Nothing was settled, but the big worry lodged in her throat had dissolved. She could pay for her next trip to the grocery store.

Did she wish her finances were different? She didn't want Eliot to blow through her inheritance, but she would have liked to have had more time with Tansy. Going back to work with an infant had been hard on her. She resented Eliot. Their marriage was never perfect. She had to admit she played a role. It was the never loved you part that hurt. Had all the moments she remembered been fake - their laughter, his teasing, in bed?

Too much thinking brought on a headache. Maybe it was her cheap wine. What a night! Easton had kissed her, and Josh didn't. Again. He said he wanted to.

She woke with Tansy nestled into her. Any progress she had made had been negated when she started daycare again. She refused to dwell on how much Eliot hated Tansy in their bed.

Knocking got her out of bed. She put on her robe as she walked to the door. Both men stood on the other side.

She opened the door a crack. "Seriously, I'm not on east coast time. It's my day off."

Jimmy pushed inside as Josh hung back and looked at her funny. She probably had bedhead and raccoon eyes.

"You'll waste the day away."