6 - Joshua

Josh woke and rolled over and studied Ann asleep across his large bed. In the morning light, she looked younger. With her natural beauty, even dressed in her corporate garb, she had a girl next door look.

Ann apologized repeatedly for abandoning him at
the auction. He had waited until they were in the car before he asked the one burning question. "What was so important for you to miss the entire auction? I was last."

"Anita wanted to hear about my authors. You know, she wields a lot of influence at Dwyer-Mitchell. I didn't realize we talked so long. I hadn't told her I needed to buy you."

"Why not? And don't say conflict of interest. Anita Browning attended Oliver's wedding."

Ann shook her head. "She disapproves of women buying men. It's..."

"It would be worse if the women paraded in front of a bunch of men."

"I would protest. The whole thing sends the wrong message. Women should be independent with or without a man. Careers should be valued more."

Josh laughed. "No one is giving up their career for a date. It's not an arranged marriage."

Ann frowned. "That's a big leap."

Josh laughed. "I agree. It's not like I'm marrying my old school friend."

He would have found it harder to accept if he had dinner with an old lady on his calendar. The woman who bid on JJ looked like she might be a cougar. Josh smiled, because she was under sixty, and he had four extra twenties in his wallet.

His Jewish guilt settled in. He owed Shaun McManus for saving him. He wasn't one to go out with a married woman, but she paid for a date.

Quietly climbing out of bed, he put on running clothes. He'd return with Ann's coffee before she stirred. Josh couldn't sleep late on weekends. His body clock woke him at the same time every day without an alarm. Quietly letting himself out of his condo, he rode the elevator twenty-eight floors to the decedent lobby of the forty-story building.

The air was crisp for the spring morning as he took in the sea breeze. He lived at the harbor with views of boats of all sizes moored to wharfs. He started slowly down the street to the two-mile Greenway. The city towered around the narrow length of green parks. He loved the convenience of the city. For best friends, he and Oliver chose opposite homes. Towering views of the harbor in a one-bedroom offered a fraction of the square footage of his friend's large traditional home.

He couldn't afford the time to run every morning, but a weekend run was set in stone. The four miles round trip was just the right length as he stopped at Dunkin. Ann loved their coffee. He preferred to make coffee with his fancy machine at home, but he bought a Boston cream donut as a reward for his run.

When he entered his bedroom, she was still asleep. He showered before he woke her. It didn't take him long to shower, and he avoided shaving whenever possible on Sundays. With a plush towel around his hips, he leaned over Ann.

"I have your caffeine."

She groaned and swatted at him, backhanding his cheek.

"Ouch!"

Her eyes popped open. "What?" He stood, rubbing his cheek. "No! That wasn't a dream?"

"You dreamed you hit me?"

She sat up, bringing the sheet with her to cover her breasts and causing Josh to frown.

"No. I was having an action dream. I just finished reading a client's new thriller."

Continuing to rub his cheek, he hoped to garner sympathy. "Are we the publisher?"

"No, Harper."

"Ow, double punch and last night."