25 - Shaun

Shaun sat at her kitchen counter holding her head with her hands. Jimmy and Josh had left, and she was alone with the memories of the most awkward night of her life. Eliot and Courtney dancing together hit hard, but then Josh's comforting arms protected her. At every turn, he supported her with a squeeze of his hand. The guy who patiently stood by her as she tried to understand the parts of the cell grew up to be the nicest guy ever.

Tansy sat in front of the TV, something she rarely did in Dover, but single parenting was continuous, and they were both feeling irritable. Tansy kept asking for Dex. Shaun felt more and more impatient as she answered her. It was Sunday, and she would have been riding with Dex if she was back home.

Shaun was ready to get down to business on the parenting plan. If Eliot continued to delay, she would sic Jimmy on him. Her cousin had influences she couldn't comprehend. The cousins couldn't be more different. Jimmy was always assured of himself and outgoing. Still, he understood Shaun and never pushed her until the museum event.

Although she stood her ground, she would have preferred to stay home. Groaning, she wanted to erase the image of her friend pressed against her husband. Eliot may have been a self centered man, but he was attentive in bed. Although Shaun had nothing to compare him to, he wasn't one sided. Maybe she made him work too hard. He resented Tansy and the affection she demanded from Shaun. During her birth, Eliot passed out and later admitted that without a tight vagina, she'd never satisfy him again. When she watched the adulterers dance, her mind went to Courtney and her child free birthcanal pleasuring the man Shaun had devoted herself to.

An enormous sigh escaped again, as she tried to guess Eliot's newest business venture. It always involved technology, but the man was no Bill Gates. She didn't care as long as he didn't play anymore games with her.

A week later, she had a meeting scheduled with Eliot and their lawyers. Her attorney insisted on not bringing up the disappearing savings until they ironed out the parenting plan.

Shaun wiped her damp hands on her skirt as she tapped her toe. Her attorney looked at her watch as Eliot's lawyer sighed. It surprised Shaun to see a middle aged woman representing him.

Shaun's attorney cleared her throat. "Shall we get started without Mr. Shaughnessy? His tardiness is another indication of his lack of interest in parenting the minor child."

The older attorney sat up. "Indication. What indication?"

"Ms. McManus returned to Seattle almost a month ago at your client's insistence. Since meeting them at the house upon their return, he has made no attempt to see his daughter."

"The mother kept the child away for half a year."

"My father died, and he slept with my best friend, I..."

Her attorney covered her hand to stop her. "And during that time, he never called to speak to the child and resented when she took the phone."

"My client tells the tale of a mother alienating the child."

"Where is your client? Perhaps he can explain why he has only seen his child for five minutes in thirty days."

There was silence as the older woman excused herself. Shaun watched as she paced and scowled on her phone outside the conference room. She returned and sighed.

"We'll have to reschedule."

She gathered her files and left.

Shaun's attorney smiled. "That went well."

"Did it? It felt the opposite to me."

"He's showing his true colors."

"I don't trust him to look after her. As my friend, his girlfriend had no interest in my child, I doubt she has changed."