40 - Shaun

Shaun had been home for two long weeks. Every morning Tansy cried at the daycare door. Thankfully, she stopped crying after Shaun left. It didn't make it any easier to leave her child yelling, "Mommy! ". Some days she yelled, "I want Dex!"

Tansy's screams echoed in her head as she drove to her dream job to listen to her former friend talk about parties and sex with her ex. It was Friday, so she'd hear about weekend plans. Her plans were laundry and Christmas shopping and maybe a trip to a park. Tansy was happier on weekends. Even though she liked school, the guilt creeped in. The preschool program prepared her for kindergarten.

On Friday afternoon, Shaun was working at her desk when she heard Courtney's voice. She buried her head in her screen, hoping to be invisible.

"She's in there."

Shaun looked up to see Eliot standing in her office with Courtney's hand possessively on his shoulder. The vision of Josh's hand on hers blocked out her angst for the couple in front of her.

"Can I help you?"

"Hi Shaun."

"Eliot, you can't be here on museum business."

"No, I need a favor."

She felt her pulse quicken. Did he know about her trust? "I'm out of favors."

Courtney pushed forward. "Don't be difficult Shaun. It's for charity."

"Charity?"

"Court's mother has a Christmas event for Children's charities. She would like children to make it look authentic."

"No."

"What? I haven't seen her in months."

"Because you rejected her. Use some kids the charity is supposed to help."

"They aren't right. She wants well-dressed, well-behaved children."

"Tansy doesn't always behave. Hire child actors."

Eliot sighed. "She wants my child."

"You should tell her you no longer have a child."

"But..."

"When is it?"

"December 23rd."

"What are they raising money for Christmas a year from now? I can't help you. I'm flying home on the twenty-third." To Josh. She smiled.

Courtney raised her voice. "You are so selfish."

"Me? Selfish? I don't think so I gave you him. I gave him a divorce. That means he is no one to me."

People had gathered outside her office. She was so tired of being humiliated. She kept the door open for Eliot to decide he loved his daughter. Instead, he wanted to borrow her to be a prop. Josh loved Tansy. He told Tansy he wanted her to move so she could ride Lady every day. He hadn't told Shaun, but he told her daughter.

On a whim, or maybe not at all, she opened a new document and typed. She printed the letter and walked into her boss' office.

Oscar said, "I heard you had a visitor."

"He wasn't my visitor, but he was the final straw. I'm sorry. I worked hard for the Curator position, but all I want to do is go back east and put this nightmare behind me. My last day is the twenty-third."

He nodded, but he didn't look surprised. "You'll be missed. I respected your effort."

"I think I'd make the same decision even if I loved coming to work. Family is more important." Family.