28 - Joshua

While Ann was mingling in California at a writer's conference, he dressed for another fake date. Maybe it was a mistake to have asked Shaun. He told Ann, but she didn't act concerned. Josh didn't know what to think about her lack of jealousy. At first, she viewed Shaun as cute - the girl he had tutored. After she met her, her concern was for Josh's relationship with Tansy. Josh liking kids was inconsistent with Ann's life goals, just as her eyeing a promotion to New York did not bode well for his future. The writing was on the wall, and Josh suspected he would spend Saturday nights alone or going stag again. Shaun couldn't continue as his date, because she lived on the other coast.

He hired a car for the evening. Unfortunately, Jimmy was out of town, but the entire Sumner family would be there, including JJ with his girlfriend, Violet. The bachelor auction unexpectedly turned out well for both of them.

Josh rode out to Dover to pick up his date. He prepared himself for Tansy to jump in his arms, but not for Shaun in a gown he hadn't seen before. The skirt hid how thin she was and the strapless top accented the parts of her he shouldn't be noticing.

"Do I look okay?" She half-smiled as she looked down the length of her dress.

He nodded to avoid foolishly giving away just how beautiful she looked. So many times, he was thankful her baggy clothing hid her body in high school. He would have been explaining the pulmonary system with a boner.

He asked, "Do I pass?"

She nodded, and he froze as she approached him with an outstretched arm. "Lint."

He let his breath out, but when he took a natural breath in, he felt heady from her perfume. Impromptu boners happened in high school, not at thirty-four, with a woman who wasn't his girlfriend.

"You ready?"

He waited while she kissed Tansy, and Stella gave her 'have fun and don't worry' speech.

The car felt smaller, with Shaun beside him. Her fragrance lingered.

"I hope you don't mind we make a party of it. We're swinging by to get Oliver and Emma."

"Is there room?"

He shrugged. "There should be."

It never occurred to him they would have to squeeze together. Oliver wouldn't mind, but it might not be wise for him.

The ride to Oliver's house went quickly as they talked about Tansy, the horses, and Stella's recovery.

"She'll be able to put Tansy to bed. I made her brush. She tries to avoid it." Josh wondered if she would brush if he asked.

When the car pulled into the driveway of the Waban home, Shaun gasped, "It's beautiful! And you saw where I live."

"Judgement free zone." Josh made a circle with his index finger over himself.

He had to admit the house had improved significantly since Oliver bought it and not just the inside. The flower beds and shrubs were the icing on the cake.

He slid out of the car. As he offered Shaun his hand, Oliver appeared.

"Emma's just annoying the babysitter with one last detail."

Shaun laughed. "It's in our DNA."

Josh cleared his throat. "What do you know about DNA?"

Oliver joined in. "Whatever you taught her."

Shaun pouted. "I watch crime shows, occasionally."

Oliver rolled his eyes. "The boys love them."

"The boys?" Shaun looked from one man to the other.