37 - Shaun

Shaun followed Dex's advice and made arrangements to ride on Sunday morning. She had a babysitter, so Tansy stayed home. Her reasons were twofold. She wanted to talk to the instructors before she trusted them with her child, and her little girl didn't need any reminders of Dover. She hadn't missed home and her father the way she missed Dover and Dex. Would a trip back be good for her or harm her?

Why did Shaun stay? Pride? Her dream job had turned out to be a lot of work. She never had a break. Her days in Dover were too boring, but she found the other extreme.

Riding made her homesick like nothing else. Speaking to her mother, which she did briefly while driving home from work each day (hands-free, of course) didn't make her as sad as riding. Another reason she was hesitant to go home was she stopped losing weight but had gained none. She looked in the mirror and saw her thin face stare back at her. She worried about worrying her mother and letting down Josh.

Riding had been a huge mistake. Her discontent grew larger each day. Sitting alone one night with her laptop, she opened a tab and searched under art on the Boston jobs site. Nothing was right, including Subway® Sandwich Artist. Switching her search to 'museum', the only one hiring was the science museum.

She didn't have to work, but she wanted to, at least part time. Leaving a dream job for no job was a tough decision. Josh asked Ann what her goal was. If Shaun answered, it would have been the job she had. She achieved her professional goal. How could she leave it?

When Jimmy told her to take the day before Thanksgiving off, she did. She even let it slip for Courtney to hear.

"I'm flying home in my cousin's private plane."

Courtney glared. "Your cousin dropped my sister and broke her heart."

Shaun's jaw dropped as she looked around the conference table at the senior staff.

"Seriously, private business is not appropriate at work, but since you opened the door. Your sister should know Jimmy is fickle. As for breaking hearts, think about what you did to mine when you slept with my husband." She stood up. "Excuse me. I have work to do before I leave. I'll read the minutes from the rest of the meeting."

She walked out. Once behind the closed door of her office, her body began to shake. She ignored the knock on the door as the tears flowed. Her dream job sucked. When would it be her turn to be happy?

Shaun woke and stretched. It was one in the afternoon. They had arrived at the house in Dover at two am. Tansy slept through their travels and was probably talking her mother's ear off. Shaun went straight for the shower. The water rained down, but hers at home had a narrow, low pressure spray. Dressed in jeans and a sweater, she wanted to ride Star.

As she emerged, she heard Tansy in her room playing. She stopped in her tracks when she heard a deep voice respond to her. Stepping towards her daughter's door, she saw him before he saw her. He was busy trying to build with wooden plank blocks. Her heart jolted at the sight of him. She missed him. She missed seeing him and Tansy together.

"Mommy!"

Josh looked up and took his time looking at her. A slow smile crossed his face.

She returned it. "What are you two doing?"

Tansy said, "Building a house."

"A house?"

"For me and Dex and you."

Josh winked. "All her idea."

Shaun felt pink on her cheeks. "I need to eat something."

He looked concerned. "You do."