30

I lean back in my seat and take a deep breath

I lean back in my seat and take a deep breath. Holy shit. I think to myself as I stare at my phone again, this time letting the words I'm reading under the post (a cropped screenshot of the message I sent to him before I left the house) sink in.

Way to get it started! A special day for @uclambb. Was nervous to get back on the court today but with these beautiful words of encouragement from @lorraineperabo day 1 is bound to be special 🤍.

That is not all.

There's a pinned comment from someone asking exactly what I'm scared of.

gabryull isn't that the girl from the interview?

murtaugh13 Everything I said on that interview was bullshit. Shut those rumours down.

I swallow. The first comment has over 200 likes but Charlie's reply is close to 500.

My Instagram and Twitter keep going on with notifications so I go on my settings and turn it off for both apps. I need to think. But I have no time to think because soon we're pulling up to the parking lot of Pauley Pavilion.

***

It is an unexpectedly brutal game for the Bruins. The score has been close from the very beginning. The Minnesota Golden Gophers are playing extremely dirty but the referee is being biased as f*ck by not awarding some of the fouls.

Our players are visibly angry and it seems to be getting the other team off. Especially number 6. Herbert. The guy has been all up in Dante's face and a fight almost broke out. Riley had to call a time out and pull both Dante and Charlie out of the game to cool off.

According to Isaac, the Gophers have it out for our team because their best player got suspended for last year's tournament due to a feud that happened off the court between Dante and the guy. Something about a racist comment was made. This, fortunately, meant that they didn't make it to the finals and now they're back to make sure we don't make it at all.

Whoever loses this game is out permanently.

Our players are stressed-it's evident on all of their faces. We're getting to the end of the first half of the game and the Timberwolves are two points ahead of us.

I feel second-hand tension wash over me as I watch Charlie from the bleachers. He's very angry. I can tell from the way he's moving his legs where he's seated next to Ryan on the bench.

"Riley needs to put Kingsley and Murtaugh back in," Isaac says just as Elle shoots me a message on our group chat.

Headache: Why the f*ck isn't coach substituting them back in!!?? The first half is about to end already!