16

For the first time in a long time, my alarm isn't the first thing that wakes me up

For the first time in a long time, my alarm isn't the first thing that wakes me up. Rather it's the loud sound of UCLA's fight song blaring from outside my window like it has for the past 1 hour. I have been trying to ignore it but whoever is playing it is obviously trying to show some school spirit which just happens to be ruining any chance of sleep left for me this morning. Serves me right for leaving my bloody window open overnight to let in some fresh air after Elle almost burnt down the house making french toast.

I groan as I roll out of bed, my fist grinding into my left eye in a desperate attempt to rub away any ounce of sleep left in my body. I was having my I don't know what to do with my life because I just got out of bed moment when the door to my room barges open and Shade walks in in a silk robe that's hanging all the way to the floor. She went for her hair appointment yesterday and came back late in the night. Although she sent a picture of her new blonde box braids, this is the first time I'm seeing it in person as I was fast asleep when she got back. That picture didn't do her justice at all. She looks amazing.

Judging by the annoyed look on her face I'm guessing she's not too happy about the sound either. Our rooms are right next to each other and we got stuck with the outside window while Elle and Samantha get a pretty view of our indoor courtyard. I'm surprised she's up early though-the girl can sleep through a storm.

"You're up early."

"My head feels like a jazz band has been playing in it all night." Shadé crawls under my cover as I get up to go shut my window. It doesn't drown out the sound but it doesn't sound like the song's playing inside my room anymore either. I nod my head to let her know I understand exactly how she feels. I spent half of the day doing school work, adding a few things to my article (which is due in just a few days) whilst trying not to panick about my meeting at the daily bruin's today. "I had to take my bonnet off in the middle of the night." she adds "Have you got an aspirin?"

"Yeah." I reply as I walk to my vanity to grab the bottle of aspirin that I keep there for when I'm pulling all nighters and I feel like my head's about to explode. I hand it to her with the half drunk bottle of water sitting by the side of my bed. "On the bright side, your hair looks really good though."

After downing the pill she mutters a thank you before dumping her head back on my pillow "I should just close my eyes and go back to sleep but I can't."

I open my closet and bring out my favourite blue mom jeans and a plain white shirt as I turn back to look at her. "I don't expect you to with that sound outside the window." I place my outfit on the bed and grab my towel from where it's sitting on my closed laundry basket "it sounds like an underwater symphony of bassoons and oboes. If that's what we play during the games I'm surprised our school has not been disqualified for noise pollution."

Shade chuckles slightly "I don't know what this guy's playing but the actual song isn't that bad." My eyes roll as I mumble a sarcastic sure. "Honestly Lorraine, I think you should come to the open practice today. We're all going to be there. No point staying cooked up in the house all by yourself."