3

The Daily Bruin is as busy as the last time I saw it

The Daily Bruin is as busy as the last time I saw it. Maybe even busier-if that's remotely possible. The open workspace houses at least forty small cubicles separating each occupied worker from the next. Although everyone here looks like they have enough work to keep two people busy, there's something about the atmosphere-the slight yelling on the phones and furiously fast fingers hitting the keyboard that builds up a giddiness in me.

"And this here is conference room B. It's back up when the main one is booked for something more important. As an intern, your job isn't to book meetings but to be at meetings and on time. No one likes a latecomer...This completes our tour. Have you got any questions, or are you still confused about anything?" Angie asks when we reach a grey door that reads Conference room B. I shake my head- she was thorough with her explanations.

She smiles, her bright brown eyes shining contentedly. "The chief editor is in a meeting in the other conference room but will be with you shortly."

I feel a tightness in my belly at the mention of Melissa Huntley. Not just because of nerves but also because the woman is a force to be reckoned with. She's like a Rosalie Hale meets Miranda Priestly-scary and bitchy. Not only is she the youngest chief editor the college has seen, but she has led the school paper to win multiple awards at state, regional and national levels. If you need to impress anybody here, it's her. I don't think my interview with her was particularly impressive, but my being here surely counts for something.

Right?

"Hey," Angie, the dark-haired woman who might have caught me having a full-blown panic attack in the bathroom following my interview, places a reassuring hand on my shoulder. She must have seen through all the nerves because there's a calming smile on her face. "I know this seems difficult since you had a hard time with the interview, but you'll be fine, trust me. You're doing great."

Her words seem to ease the butterflies in my stomach, and I feel a sense of happiness that I already have someone in here who understands me and would potentially have my back in the future.

"If you need anything, my office is right by the front." She gives me a slight nod before walking away.

Not wanting to look like an oddball by standing in front of the glass door, I enter the conference room, which isn't fancy. Sitting in the centre of the room is a largely white wooden table with comfortable-looking black swivel chairs around them. Spare chairs line the glass wall towards the whiteboard at the back of the room.

Cautiously taking a seat next to the window, I bring out a pen from my bag and ensure my phone is turned off.

I hope this goes well. Even though Angie has told me I shouldn't worry as the welcome meeting is to go through some paperwork and basic dos and don'ts, I can't shrug off the fear that's settled on my shoulder. Not when I'll be in the same room with Melissa Huntley.