21

A grunt escapes my lips as I push my body to its limit

A grunt escapes my lips as I push my body to its limit. I force my mind to focus on my breathing and posture instead of the burning pain in my calves and quadriceps as I bend my knee. The lunge motion is a movement that is used multiple times by players throughout a game. Whether it's during defence or trying to attack out of a triple threat, a motion similar to the lateral lunges is used. It's a very useful exercise for the development of leg strength and flexibility in the hip and core area.

But I hate the sh*t.

However, the PT recommended exercise has helped with my knees and so far the lingering reminder of my accident is starting to be a thing of the past.

The guys are f*cking around behind me. Ryan and Wesley are play boxing and Sawyer's pretending to be the coach while Dante and Neal are 'judging' as they work with the dumbbells. I want to snap at them but I know they've all completed their workout and Riley wouldn't be giving us shit at practice tomorrow. Preseason games start this week and it's got the coach on edge as usual. Not that I blame the man. I'm back on the team and I haven't played in over a year.

I'm on edge.

Our first game for the preseason NIT is in less than 6 days and we've got another one barely 48 hours after. The NIT is a pretty big deal for college basketball teams as only 16 of the best teams gets invited to play. We never had to worry about getting an invitation. As long as Riley's the coach, UCLA will continue getting invited. The games are spread out throughout November with the semifinals and finals being held during thanksgiving week. Although everyone knows getting invited is as important as winning, UCLA has not lost in the last 6 years.

There will be a lot of eyes on me as soon as I get on that court. Everyone will be watching-judging. Every single error that would have been overlooked in the past will now be linked to my accident, planting doubts in the mind of NBA draft teams. They'll start doubting my capabilities. Am I going to be a liability? Is there an injury I'm hiding? Am I on f*cking painkillers? Am I juicing?

I was trying to avoid that shit when I kept my accident off the media a year ago. Of course, rumours went around campus, people saw me in a leg cast and I didn't attend classes for months or play basketball for the season and the media ate that shit up but my accident was never confirmed. Not by me. Not by Riley. And not by the college. My accident was merely a rumour and my father made sure it stayed that way.

But the sophomore didn't keep quiet and everything that I've worked for might be going to sh*t. It terrifies me. How am I supposed to own that court if all I can think about is that? If my head's not straight? The pressure of wanting to be perfect is eating me alive because getting drafted means a lot to me. It's all I've ever wanted.