23

I feel my heart hammer against my chest, not only because of Charlie's almost desperate apology but also because Alexis is approaching us

I feel my heart hammer against my chest, not only because of Charlie's almost desperate apology but also because Alexis is approaching us. Despite the harsh look on her face, her beauty is astounding. The girl is dressed like a barbie-the hot pink latex halter dress leaving nothing to the imagination and making me feel like a child in my flared cookie dress. My hands come up to adjust my dress but deep down I know there's no comparing us. She's a jaw-dropping beauty who has an ambience of perfection about her. She knows she's gorgeous and she carries herself as such.

I can't help but wonder if people buy confidence from somewhere because I'd sure damn love to purchase some.

Alexis marches towards Charlie with purpose. I realise it before she shoves herself into him.

She's going to kiss him.

What I don't expect is Charlie kissing her back. Like he was kissing me.

If I wasn't feeling a massive sting in my chest as I watch everything I'm insecure about latch her lips onto Charlie's contemptuously-like take that Lorraine, in your face, I would have laughed.

Because what the hell? They're making out in front of my face. The realisation causes me to flinch hard.

My throat clogs up and I have to remind myself to blink. I shouldn't risk ruining my makeup over something so trivial. I almost scoff at my denial.

Upsetting? Yes. Trivial? No.

I stand there awkwardly, wishing the floor could open up and swallow me whole. I'd give anything to not be in this situation. But the universe has had it in for me from the start of this trip and this situation is exactly where I'm in.

The call of my name forces me to tear my gaze away from the duo in front of me to the voice coming from the entrance of Sawyer's house. Elle is standing there in her blue power puff girl costume, the outraged look on her face making her look as fierce as Bubbles when she's fighting monsters.

Her presence confuses me but a huge part of me is relieved by her sudden appearance.

A tiny part of me wants to wait for an explanation. But that tiny part is also stupid. The last thing I want to look like right now is stupid.

Letting out a shaky breath, I walk towards my friend using all willpower to stay focused on my destination. Elle rolls her eyes and shakes her head as I reach her.

"Come on." She urges me into the house hurriedly. It's almost as if she wants to get me out of there as quickly as possible. "That sneaky little weasel." She mumbles as soon as we're inside Sawyer's luxurious mansion. My eyes wander around the place-the Halloween decorations sucked more than my life at the present and that was a source of consolation-before resting on Elle's face in confusion.

What is she so upset about?

"I'm so sorry Lorraine, it's my fault. I pissed her off."