Chapter 11: A Light Supper

Warnings: None that I'm aware of

Word Count: 2625

Lila grunted, groaned and struggled under the foot Five had pressed to her throat, The Handler watching the two as she smoked her cigarette. "You've got a good nose."

"You know, planting her in a psych ward, taking advantage of my simpleton brother, that was smart." Five glared up at the woman, who smiled down at Lila.

"Well, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree." At her words, Five's head snapped up to her, wobbling slightly on Lila's throat.

"She's your-"

"Daughter. And she's my only one, so I'd appreciate it if you didn't crush her windpipe."

Lila's choking and gasping got louder as Five glanced down, keeping his foot on her throat for a few seconds out of spite before freeing her. Lila coughed and shot to her feet, the two of them staring each other down after Five straightened his blazer. "I am so going to enjoy killing you someday." She hissed, the boy only smiling gently at her.

"Lila, darling, would you give us a minute, please?" The Handler sweetly spoke to her daughter. Five, with a shit-eating grin, raised his brows.

"Yes, the grown-ups need to talk."

Glancing between her mother and Five, she rolled her eyes and stomped away, the clatter of an object she angrily knocked away sounding behind the two. A second later, Five whirled on The Handler, hands stuffed in his pockets. "What is it you want?"

"Do you like jazz, Five?"

"I'd rather lick a cheese grater."

"Awe," She smiled and paced about the area. "Jazz... is like a beautiful woman. Complex, emotional, hard to please. She doesn't just give it to you... she makes you work for it. I'm sure you know all about that, don't you?"

Eyes narrowed, Five clenched his jaw as he turned in her new direction. "I can't say that I do, so I'm really hoping that you're going somewhere with this."

"Under my leadership, the Commission would sound more like... jazz." She whispered out, quietly mimicking a jazz rhythm and dancing in place. Lifting his chin to face her, Five frowned.

"And what about the board of directors?"

"Well, that's where you come in." The Handler smiled, softly tapping his nose with her index finger. The boy stared, not amused, and leaned forward.

"Nope. No it isn't."

"In exchange for the assassination of the board," She started and began her slow circle around the boy. "I'm willing to get you and your family out of this timeline and back to 2019 where you belong."

"And what about World War III that's due to kick off in just a few days?"

"Once you and your siblings are gone, that goes away."

Suspicious, Five shifted on his feet. "And the apocalypse when we get back to 2019?"

"That, too."

"I distinctly remember you telling me that that apocalypse had to happen, that it was supposed to happen."

"Back then, I was toeing company line," She shrugged and made her way behind the boy. "But once I'm in charge..." The way she pressed herself against his back as she repeated her small song and dance had Five stepping away slightly. "We can riff."