Chapter 17: 743

Warnings: guns, violence, mentions of murder

Word Count: 2494

From a distance, (Y/N) could watch the passing of a train just over her left shoulder, the chugging of the locomotive against the tracks bringing her a sense of normalcy. Just for a bit. Over her right shoulder was Five, roughly scratching his neck with twitching fingers. His left hand was clammy in her tight hold, but it was his anchor. As they reached the top of the metal stairs, Five's eyes caught a passerby giving him a concerned look. "What are you looking at?" He hissed. "See something funny?!"

"Five," She warned, tightening her hold on his hand as he bared his teeth at the poor stranger. "Ignore him-"

"Mind your business!" He screamed at another man who gave them a look as he passed. "Or I'll give you something to stare at!"

(Y/N) shook her head and blinked her gaze forward. Old Man Five and Luther were walking a few feet away from them, no doubt having some sort of private conversation. What she'd give to have somewhat of a normal conversation other than-

"You wish you could pull off these shorts!"

"Okay, can you just stop staring at him?!" (Y/N) called out to those who continued to fill the boy's rage with their looks of distaste. They all snapped their heads forward and went about their business. She sighed and tugged him a bit closer to her. "Feel better?"

"No." Five immediately answered. His grip suddenly became deadly on her hand, eliciting a wince from her. Noticing this, he dropped her hand. "Shit. Sorry."

She only gave a small smile. As they reached the edge of the bridge, she saw Old Man Five heading down the stairs, leaving behind a tight-smiling Luther. His wide eyes glossed over her before they landed on Five. (Y/N) pat her brother's shoulder before jogging the few steps she needed to in order to catch up to the older Five. "Hi again." She chirped. Startled, he snapped his head to her.

"O-Oh... Hey, (Y/N)."

"Sorry... for springing this all on you. I know it's probably a lot for a Tuesday afternoon." She lightly chuckled. He nervously glanced down at his feet.

"N-No, I, um... It's okay. I've, uh-"

"Five," She gently smiled. "I know it's been years, but it's still me. You don't have to be so nervous around me. I haven't changed much... as you can tell."

He stared at her, as if realizing that she was someone he had known his entire life. And that seemed to put him a bit more at ease. "Of course, Starlight," He nodded with a small smile. The two of them walked in a semi-comfortable silence before he decided to ask, "So, what's going on with you and the pipsqueak? He holding you hostage or something?"

(Y/N) quietly laughed, a heavenly sound to the old man. "That pipsqueak is mine. And I'm his."

His eyes widened, glancing over his shoulder repeatedly at his teen self. "You mean- You and me- We're gonna...?"

"If you do it right, then yes. We can."

"What'd he do?"

She turned her body slightly and watched as her love irritably swiped his sweaty hair out of his face and harshly scratched his chest, seemingly growling at the poor, pitiful Luther, who had to put up with him. (Y/N) beamingly smiled at him. "He was honest. And patient," She turned back to Old Man Five. "And himself."

With a hopeful look in his eyes, he let out a breath. "Oh, I-I have something I need to give you. I doubt he did it-"

"He did." She reached into her back pocket and retrieved Five's note given to her right before the deal was made with Hazel and Cha-Cha. "You were scared, so you gave it to me just in case. I told myself I wouldn't read it, but... it's been two years and... I needed some reassurance."