Chapter 16: Reconciliation

Warnings: none that I'm aware of

Word Count: 1889

Across from the small square table sat Luther, who grinned over at his sister as if sitting with a younger and older version of their brother in an Irish pub, in the early 1960's no less, was the most casual thing they could be doing right now. The tension between the Fives was so thick, you could cut it with a knife. The two were engaged in a very lethal, very heated staring contest, their jaws clenched and arms resting on either side of their drinks. (Y/N) widened her eyes at Luther, asking him what it is they should say, they should do. He only shrugged as he downed a gulp of his beverage before glancing over at his brothers. "Well... this is nice, isn't it? The four of us, together like this."

"No." They both hissed, their eyes never leaving each other. (Y/N) rolled her eyes at Luther's terrible excuse of an icebreaker as the aged Five began speaking.

"Somebody explain to me how it is I'm having a pint of Guinness with my younger self."

"Older, actually," The adolescent Five replied. "I'm you, just fourteen days older."

"I have pubic hair smarter than you."

"Gross." (Y/N) whispered. The "older" Five let his gaze set on her for the first time since they revealed their Five. When he had seen her approach him, he was sure he had been hallucinating as he often did during the apocalypse and even after he was recruited by the Commission. He was certain he was going insane all over again. But now that he knew this was really her, that she was really alive, he wasn't sure if he was relieved or not.

Feeling his gaze on her, (Y/N) only waved him off so her Five could continue, which he did. "I can explain. You see, one hour for now, on the grassy knoll, before the president is killed, you break your contract with the Commission," As the boy leaned forward, his elder self wringed his hands together due to nerves, and (Y/N) noted it. "I already know you're thinking about it. All those years in the apocalypse, we never stopped worrying about our family," At this, both Luther and (Y/N) met each other's gazes, their eyes carrying slight shock, more from him than her. "Well, today, you are going to do something about it. Today, you are going to attempt to time travel forward to 2019. However, you are going to screw up the jump and end up in this twip of a body. Not only that, but you will bring the same fate upon (Y/N). And she'll hate you for it."

(Y/N) frowned at this.

"Trapped forever, small, pubescent."

"Okay," Older Five shrank back, the small squeak of flatulence he let out causing (Y/N) to raise her brows. He glanced at her in slight embarrassment before looking back at himself. "Even if I was to believe you, what am I supposed to do about it, not jump?"

"No, no. I need you to jump. If you don't jump, I cease to exist," At the very mention of his existence being wiped, (Y/N) stiffened. "What I need for you is to jump correctly."

Old Man Five leaned forward along with his teenage self. "I'm listening." He whispered, desperate.

"The first time through, I got the calculation wrong. That's how we ended up like this," Five motioned between him and the teen girl. "But now, I know the correct calculation."

"What is it?"

"I'll be glad to tell you," Five lightly nodded his head downward. "In exchange for that briefcase you're holding under the table."

The Fives narrowed their eyes at each other when Luther spoke up. "Yeah, yeah, so you go back to 2019, as planned, but this time with the right math, so you remain a full-grown man. In exchange, we get that briefcase that you no longer need." The explanation was something (Y/N) was sure the old man could have figured out on his own, but she was glad her brother was getting involved. Like her children applying math to their real lives for the first time.