Chapter 13: Öga för Öga

Warnings: blood, violence, straight up murder

Word Count: 4096

Clicking steps echoed the hall Sir Reginald Hargreeves currently walked down, leaving a very discontent Five behind. Once the man disappeared down the hall, the boy left the lounge, growling and rubbing the back of his neck. Mind racing, he hopped on the elevator and pressed the button for the lobby. Just as the doors were about to close, (Y/N) slipped between them, Pennycrumb under her arm, and grasped onto Five's arm. Eyes wide, the boy watched her in shock. "(Y/N)? I thought you left already. What are you doing?"

"I wanted to talk to you," She whispered. "Five, I'm sorry... about lying to you. I-I was gonna tell you all about living with Dad a-and being adopted by him again, but then I didn't and it was selfish and stupid-"

"(Y/N)-"

"But what I'm sorry about the most was for not speaking up about us. It wasn't fair to you," She shook her head. "I just... I've been doubtful about us lately. It's like, everyone's saying we shouldn't be together... And after hearing it for so long..."

Five placed his hands on her shoulders firmly. "No," He breathed. "I've waited too long for this, dammit. Listen to me, (Y/N). Don't let what others say determine your opinions. What we have is fine. I know it seems fucked up, I know it seems wrong. But does any of this ever feel wrong to you?"

Glancing up at him, she shook her head. "No..."

"Exactly. This... Our entire upbringing was so dysfunctional and confusing. Nothing ever felt like true family. We were strangers in our own childhood home. We're just now behaving like an actual family unit and it's still confusing. So, no one has the right to tell us how to love. Especially not Reginald Hargreeves. The man who caused this."

The two rested their foreheads against each other as the elevator doors opened, but they didn't bother leaving just yet. As the doors closed again, (Y/N) sniffled. "So, you've never thought this wasn't going to last?"

"I've never, ever doubted us. I know... compared to you, I know next to nothing about love. But this? This is real. And I promise you, Starlight, once the timeline is restored... I'm making this official. If you'll have me."

Snapping her head up, (Y/N) let her tears fall. "Are you... You're serious?" She grinned. When Five nodded, she quickly elevated herself on her toes and pecked his lips repeatedly. "Yes. Finally." She whispered. Five grinned and tightened his hold on her, blinking them both out of the building and outside.

"Well, then, why don't we speed up the process? Here's what's going to happen," He started and pulled away, gently wiping her tears away. "I'm about to meet up with The Handler. She offered me a deal to kill the entire board of directors of the Commission in exchange for a briefcase to get us all home to 2019. No more World War III, no more apocalypse."

(Y/N) glanced down at her pup, who peered up at her, tongue hanging from his mouth. "How can you trust her?"

"I don't know if I even should. But I'll have to. She's our only... our only option."

From the way he sighed and stuffed his hands into his pockets, she could tell he was already regretting his decision. Gently caressing his cheek, she offered him a small smile. "You don't want to kill, do you?" She whispered, receiving the shake of a head as an answer. "I-I don't even know what to say to that... Just... Just know that I won't think any differently of you. You'll still be my Five. And I'll be right there beside you if you need me."

"My god, I don't deserve you..." He sighed. Quietly chuckling, (Y/N) set her pet down and pulled Five into a hug. He closed his eyes and wrapped his arms around her waist. "I appreciate you, I really do. I'm gonna get us out of here, but I don't want you helping me on this. The Handler already knows about you. I can't have her using you or anything like that against me. So... just wait for me."