Chapter 18: Told You So

Warnings: mentions of guns, violence, and death/dying

Word Count: 2411

"Getting tired yet?!"

"I could do this all day!"

(Y/N) rolled her eyes from her spot in the grass she had been occupying for a few minutes, the brawl between the two Fives becoming less amusing by the second. Luther, for about the thousandth time, had tried to reason with them, but ultimately was told off and ignored. Sighing, the young girl stood to her feet and walked towards the fence, picking up the briefcase in her hands. The three had been too consumed in the fight to notice her.

After snapping at Luther with an "eat shit, apeman", the Fives lunged at each other, both activating their power at the same time. Due to this, the bright blue energy bounced off of themselves and knocked them both to the ground. Just as tired and irritated as his sister, Luther picked up the gun he had dropped upon being kicked in the groin and pointed it between his brothers. "Hey! Assholes! I'm done listening to you both! I'm in charge now!"

(Y/N) hummed and poked her bottom lip out at her brother's exclamation, somewhat impressed by the return of his leadership. It was a better look on him than a hopeless spotter, she thought. The Fives shot up from the ground when they noticed Luther training the gun on the physically older of the two.

"Now, Luther! Shoot him!"

"No! Luther, shoot him!"

"Shoot him!"

"No, Luther, shoot him!"

"Luther, shoot him!"

It seemed Luther was torn, much to his sister's confusion. It was obvious to her which way to go. He locked eyes with her widened and panicked ones, pleading for an answer. Her gaze frantically darted to Old Man Five as if to tell him. Her heart stuttered and her breathing quickened when he slowly trained the gun towards her Five. "Wait."

Five panted, eyes wide as he watched his brother in concerned shock. "Luther..."

"I'm sorry, buddy."

(Y/N) gasped and stepped forward. "Luther, stop!"

Five's shoulders slumped slightly as the realization of him about to be shot dawned on him.

"Don't you fucking dare, Luther!"

The adult Five turned to her, watching her carefully. She was now dangerously close to the scene, dangerously close to the younger of the two. He knew that she was planning on stepping in if he were to shoot.

"Luther!"

Before he could stop her, Luther swung the end of the gun into Old Man Five's face, knocking him unconscious temporarily. He grunted and hit the ground with a thud, Five and (Y/N) staring in bewilderment. Luther whirled to his brother frantically. "Now! Open the portal!"

The ends of her lips quirked up at the cleverness of her brother. He hurriedly grabbed her by the arm and pulled her with him to stand behind Five. The boy snapped out of his daze and muttered to himself before clenching his fists. Air rushed around them and blew their hair about, the energy of his power churning and projecting a portal onto a nearby car. Within the portal were the Hargreeves siblings the day he returned from the apocalypse, staring up at them in curiosity. (Y/N) was momentarily confused as to why she didn't see herself, but remembered that during this moment, her body had been reverting into its teenage form.

It was clear that widening the portal further was straining Five, for he was beginning to pant and cry out. Luther and (Y/N) knew there was nothing they could do other than to watch, so that was all they did. She observed as Five stared into the portal, eyes fluttering at the air rushing into his face, hair flapping above his dark brows. His head slowly turned to the right and he seemed to panic. (Y/N) and Luther turned as well to see the older Five inching towards the former to grab the briefcase from her.