001. three hundred dollars

WHEN HE WAS ASLEEP, RAFE LOOKED ANGELIC. Maybe it was because he wasn't mansplaining the difference between a flat serve, a slice serve, or a kick serve, but having his mouth shut up for once felt absolutely amazing. Rafe talked. He talked and he talked and he talked, and the moment of silence was enough to put her in a good mood.

The girl stretched her arms, getting dressed in a matter of seconds, the familiar routine taking place instantly. Empty out his wallet. Sneak out the window and avoid all the blind spots from the security cameras. Cola couldn't believe she hadn't thought of this whole ideal before— it was perfect.

The Kooks were too arrogant and had their high horse demeanor on display. It would be terrible for their snobby friends to find out that they slept with a pogue, much less find out that they got their wallets empty in the morning after. No one talked. No one said anything in fear of getting humiliated. It was foolproof.

Before her foot could come out of the window, Cola counted the bills in her hand once more. Normally, she hated math— she fucking despised it with all her heart and soul, but counting the money made her giddier than she already was.

300$ — her biggest haul yet.

With a grin, the girl stuffed it into her pocket and then skillfully navigated herself out of the messy yard (the girl never understood why the Camerons had to make their yard so big), watched out for any cameras, and was about to successfully reach her crappy bike that was perched against a tree, until a voice rang out.

"You know, I think I saw you jumping through my brother's window five minutes ago."

Nicola forced a smile, purposely revving the bike engine louder so her voice could be covered up by it. As Sarah Cameron continued talking, the louder she revved her engine, making the blonde girl sigh and give up, crossing her arms in front of her in annoyance as she watched the tanned girl smirk at her.

"Say something, princess?" Cola smirked, leaning forward with her fingers wrapped around the hand clutch.

"I was asking what you were doing, running out of the house like that?"

"Guess what, Sarah."

"What?" Sarah questioned, clearly annoyed.

"I slept with your brother."

Once the shock was written all over her face, Cola grinned once more as she drove away from the Cameron residence, her hair flying through the wind as she drove back to John B's. Her eyes scanned Figure 8, looking at the fallen trees and messed-up cables.

Sure, maybe spending the night at Rafe Cameron's bedroom while Hurricane Agatha crashed through the windows and sneaking out of the said bedroom at six in the morning seemed like a bad idea in hindsight, but the money she got out of it was definitely worth it. There was no cell signal, so she couldn't call any of her friends to see if they were dead or not, but she was a fast driver— and instead of panicking, she drove faster, hoping to get to the other side of the island before the sun rose.

Thirty minutes later, the familiar sight of the chateau rolled up in her vision, and soon enough, she was entering the front door with the biggest grin on her face. "Guess how much I hauled today?"

Emerging out of his bedroom was John B, his eyebrows furrowed together as he rubbed his eyes in confusion. JJ was still asleep on the sofa bed, muttering things to himself. Nicola guessed that he was probably in the middle of a dream.