020. unpause

COLA TAKES A SWIG OF THE CARTOON OF MILK, hanging her legs above the dock mindlessly. The girl was starting to regret her decision of falling asleep on John B's pullout for six hours because while she stood wide awake at four in the morning, all of her friends were asleep back in the Château.

At least, that's what she thought.

"Can't sleep?"

At the sound of his deep voice, Cola turned around and shot JJ a tight smile. The girl had assumed that he was passed out like the rest of their friends were - after all, they spent the night laughing and drinking to their heart's content. It was funny to see her friends spirits so high; but nothing topped the joy she felt when she held the golden block for the first time in her hands.

"I'm chugging a carton of almond milk, JJ." Cola deadpanned, feeling her body go tense when the blonde boy sits by her side. "I shouldn't have napped that long. Why are you awake?"

The girl tilts her head to her left, meeting JJ's dark eyes that were normally a very bright hue of blue. The radio that was between them was playing this song that she didn't know. "Couldn't sleep either."

That was it. They've run out of conversation starters. In normal circumstances, Cola would be rambling about how her life was gonna be way better now that they've found the gold, but somehow, she just knows that if she attempts to make conversation it would just end up weird.

As the two of them stare at each other in pure silence, Cola's had enough of it. The weird awkward tension was enough for her— it needed to end now. "Unpause."

"Bu—"

"Unpause, JJ." Cola asserts, sitting crossed legged so she'd fully face the boy instead of looking at him with her head tilted to the left. "It's getting weird, we need to settle this."

JJ doesn't say something for a minute, before he inevitably swings his feet and sits crossed legged like she'd been doing, taking a swig of his beer for a boost of confidence. "All right. Unpause."

"Why did you act so weird when you thought I'd slept with that boy?" Cola questions immediately, not wasting any time dilly-dallying and getting straight to the point. Honestly, she had forgotten the boy's name already - all she could remember was how loaded he was, courtesy of the cash she had stolen from him that was currently hidden beneath her pillow.

JJ laughed, shaking his head as he took another swig of his beer. "You're so dense sometimes, Cola." He'd meant it to be a joke, but it came out a lot harsher than he meant.

Cola raised her eyebrows. "What's wrong with you?" she demanded with a huff.

"Nothing," JJ said, yet again, taking another swig of his beer. Cola could only sigh at how uncooperative he was being - which made her decide that things would probably be easier if she was slightly drunk.

After JJ sets the bottle down, Cola requested the beer with outstretched fingers.

JJ handed it over with a sigh. Despite knowing that drinking beer right after drinking milk wasn't probably a good idea and that she'd had a stomachache later on, he couldn't help but admire how beautiful Cola looked. How her nose slightly scrunched as she chugged the beverage was enough for him - he had to look away.

It was silent for a moment. JJ thought that he'd finally avoided the whole thing, until Cola spoke up, her voice very hoarse. "So we sit here in silence and you don't tell me what's bothering you? We used the unpause button."

"Fuck the pause button." JJ stood up, but didn't manage a step before Cola grabbed the back of his belt loop. His balance was always bad, and being a sort of a klutz, he tripped and fell over, landing mostly on the girl.