012. my girl

WHEN COLA WOKE UP THAT MORNING, she was met with three things— one, a crippling headache that made her feel like her brain was being ripped in half, two, confusion as to why she was coddling her best friend despite the North Carolina heat and the tank top stuck to her skin with a thin layer of sweat, and three, an overwhelming sense of urgency when she realized what today was.

They had to prepare for Midsummers. She had to go to the club by 3pm to prepare everything with her co-workers at the Country Club for the event that would occur tomorrow night, yet here she was with the loudest hangover she'd ever experienced.

"JJ," she groaned, attempting to push away the six feet worth of JJ Maybank away from her smaller frame. It seemed like her own voice was too loud for her, as the crippling headache came again, but she managed. "JJ. Wake up."

JJ groans, obviously still deep in sleep.

Cola sighs, carefully peeling her body away from JJ, trying her very best to not rouse him awake. God knows how much shit he's had to handle the past night— she had a blackout. She couldn't remember anything, which meant that she did something stupid.

It was going fairly well, but when the warmth pressing on his body leaves, JJ instinctively chases after it, wrapping an arm around her waist and tugging the girl back to his chest.

"Don't go, Cola." he murmurs, voice still all groggy. Nicola figured out that his brain was still off and wasn't working properly, but despite the attempts to pry away from his grip, he still held on tight.

Cola eventually gives up for a bit. JJ was stronger than her, had her in a tight hold, so she was basically defenseless. (Although a small part of her wanted to stay like this a little but longer, but she wouldn't admit it.)

"JJ," she whines after five minutes, although slightly liking the feeling of his warm arms wrapped around her. "JJ, my head is pounding. I need to take an Tylenol."

That seemed to wake him out of his sleepy trance. In an instant, his eyes went wide open, and with a really sharp "oh shit" escaping his lips, he awkwardly removed his arms off the girl. "You look like shit."

"Tell me something I don't know." The words left her lips before she could even realize it, and soon, her head was going crazy once again.

"I'm gonna go get it. Stay right here."

Nicola nodded, too tired to muster out a reply— whenever she tried to say something, it played like a speakerphone in her head and she wanted to spare herself the agony. The girl only watched as JJ left her tiny room, more or less going to the medicine cabinet at her counter.

Despite being too tired to think, Cola was running down her schedule in her head one by one. The girl had really chosen the wrong day to be wasted— she and JJ promised Pope that they would be at Heyward's in the morning and she had to work at the Country Club from 3pm to god knows how long in a stupid skirt and a stupid vest, working for a bunch of stupid Kooks.

"Here ya' go," JJ entered the room, handing her the pill with a bottle of water. He had made sure to keep his voice low, knowing very well how much a hangover made him feel like shit.

Cola could briefly remember buying a bunch of bottles of water and a bunch of gatorades the last night since there was no running water in the Cut. The girl took the pill from him, drinking it with an overwhelming amount of speed. Instantly, the water seemed to make her feel a little bit better, but the headache still hurt like a bitch.