009. golf course

WARNING: SEXUAL ASSAULT, VIOLENCE

Call 800.656.HOPE (4673) to be connected with a trained staff member from a sexual assault service provider in your area. I'm here. we're all here supporting you. never doubt that.

"I STILL CAN'T BELIVE YOU HAD A CRUSH ON KIE'S DAD."

A laugh accompanied by a snort escaped her lips as she lightly pushes JJ away as the two of them walk on the cement. John B had dropped them off at the intersection of their street, heading to the Château instead of driving them to their houses.

It was dark outside, the only light coming from the moon since the light posts were still damaged from the hurricane. However, it seemed like the moon was bright enough for Cola to see the mop of blonde hair and blue eyes.

"While me and Pope had a thing for Kie at twelve... you had a thing for her dad? Jesus."

"To be fair, we all had a thing for Kie at some point." Nicola pointed out, remembering how she used to act around her friend when she was fourteen. It died down quickly, though, especially since it led up to her Kook year.

"It isn't just Kie, you kno—"

Cola jumped on her yard, interrupting him. The girl fumbled her tote bag, trying to find the keys of her house while JJ stood awkwardly, not knowing if he should just wait for her or walk to his house that was only two minutes away.

"Can you tell the guys I can't go check out the drone tomorrow morning?" Nicola asks, walking up the porch while JJ trails right behind her.

"Why?"

"I have a morning shift at the Country Club." Cola explains, leaning on her front door to face him. "I'll just meet you and Pope at Heyward's tomorrow to deliver those groceries."

JJ pauses for a minute, before standing up straighter so he'd seem more confident. "You want me to pick you up?"

"Nah, I have my bike." Cola brushed the idea off, knowing that she'd be way faster on her own. "I'll see you tomorrow, JJ."

He takes something out of his bag, handing a takeout box to Nicola with a cheeky grin on his face, despite the disappointment at the fact that he wouldn't be seeing her in the morning. "See you, Coca Cola."

JJ jogs away, leaving the girl standing in her porch.

With a confused glance, she takes the flashlight in her tote bag and holds it on her left hand while the right hand unwraps the take out box, still not knowing what to expect— when did he have the time to ask Mr. Carrera for this?

However, all that confusion fuzzes into happiness, a smile dances on her face when she sees what was inside.

The takeout box was filled to the brim with Ring shaped curly fries.

...

Her shift at the club went surprisingly well. No one was there to bother her, so she did her job without any interruptions, gaining a hundred dollars worth of tips, so when she parked over to Heyward's, she was in a good mood.

"You kids get these groceries over to Figure Eight," Pope's father tells the trio, handing Pope two bags of groceries. Nicola remembers how she used to do the exact same job when she was twelve, the only difference being the fact that the boat she stood on seemed way more smaller now.