chapter seventeen ✕ foreboding threats

𝐬𝐨𝐡𝐨, 𝐧𝐞𝐰 𝐲𝐨𝐫𝐤𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐥𝐯𝐞 𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐩𝐦

𝐬𝐨𝐡𝐨, 𝐧𝐞𝐰 𝐲𝐨𝐫𝐤
𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐥𝐯𝐞 𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐩𝐦

❀⊱┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄⊰❀
[unedited]

In some ways the reunion of my high school friend and her family went the way I expected. Happy and awkward. Except, I expected an equal mix of both. But it's more of an 80/20 split.

As I help Andrea pack up her clothes for the trip, Armando tries to keep Santos from tearing up her plants. I don't have to worry about those two. They're as sociable as it gets and have taken to Andrea already.

It's Angelo I'm worried about who, instead of hanging back with us and catching up with his long lost sister, is currently waiting impatiently in the car outside. It's not like I can imagine what he's going through, but I know it's hard. I could tell it from his eyes as he left, full of concern and frustration. Emotions he isn't used to letting out.

But, that isn't the only thing on my mind.

The more I think about it, the more I realize there isn't any reason for me to leave. It was always the goal to head back home to New York, even if it took a while. I'm here now, we've found Andrea, so why go?

My heart wants to mull over it more, but my head knows the answer. The only issue is telling Angelo.

I excuse myself from Andrea's apartment and head back down the stairs, out of the shop and down the street towards where Angelo is parked.

My skin prickles with nervous heat as I get closer. The tinted windows of the car don't allow me to see him, aiding in my nervousness.

Before I'm very close, I hear the door click unlocked, so at least I know he sees me.

Opening the door of the passenger seat, I slid in and close it.

Angelo sits in the drivers seat with his elbow against the edge of the window, propped up with his wrist against his chin. His eyes are distant.

"Are you alright?" I ask quietly.

He's quiet for a moment before an answer escapes. "I don't know." He says, with a furrow in his brow as if he's confused by his own response.

The silence hangs heavy before he speak again.

"She looks just like mama, you know. Andrea." He pauses and chuckles. "It was almost surreal. Everything is so similar, but it's not her. It's as if she got to take those last remnants of mama and all I'm left with is a shadow. I hate it. I absolutely hate it."

I touch my hand to his. "It doesn't have to be shadows." I say quietly. "I know you and Armando never really got closure, and even though it's not straight from the source, Andrea could be that missing link."