chapter twenty two ╳ epilogue

two years later

two years later

"Are you ready?" My dad asks.

"As I'll ever be."

I look down at the flowers in my hand. I'm gripping them so hard, the stems look like their about to snap. I don't know why I'm so nervous.

And yet, as the bridal march starts to pick up, so does my heartbeat.

I hold onto my dads arm to keep myself steady.

Andrea and Armando go out ahead of us, Andrea in her flowing maroon gown and Armando with his matching tie. Armando gives my a wink before turning into the hall with Andrea.

The musical cue finally hits.

"That's us." Dad says, and we begin the walk.

I take each step with caution, praying that I don't step on my train and slip. The long, flower scattered carpet travels from the grand mahogany doors of the hall, all the way down the the steps of the dais at the very end.

My eyes travel almost immediately to the man that stands there.

To the man that risked his life for me.

To the man that teases me.

To the man that makes me feel beautiful.

To the man that loves me.

Angelo's eyes meet mine and when they do, I can already see him try to hold in his emotions. Armando settles a hand on his brothers shoulder and he gives me a big smile.

I look over the few guests in the hall. My mother sits to the right, helping Armando keep an excited Santos from running down the isle. To her side is Valentin, who we've grown closer and more trusting of these past few years. He's a good friend now.

Just behind them is Claude, who's already bawling ceaselessly.

On the left, sits Easton, who more or less invited himself . Angelo had a whole fit about it but I convinced him to allow it. And Antonio Ricci, every the enigmatic, has assigned himself the role of officiant.

As a child, I would have deduced this wedding as pathetic considering the blatant lack of guests. But, looking at it now, I wouldn't have it any other way. To be honest, the room could be full of strangers, as long as it was Angelo up on that alter.